11 - A Magical Night

Siyeon and I appeared in a flash of red light. I blinked my eyes several times and looked around.

We stood in the middle of a room. On one side was a bookshelf with a desk and chair in front of it. The desk was laden with open books, paper, and ink quills. On one adjacent side was a staircase leading up to...somewhere. But the other two sides were completely open and exposed.

To what, I hear you ask? To nothing. Outside this place was nothing but open space. Vast nebulas of swirling colors were strewn against the backdrop, casting this place in a soft, iridescent glow.

There were also numerous candles simply floating in the air around the room. All in all, this place was magical.

Siyeon grinned at me. "It's pretty great, huh?"

"What is this place?" I breathed, still gawking.

Siyeon idly strolled around the room. "It's my parent's house. They made it as a safe haven for our family when I was born. It's in a little pocket dimension far away from prying eyes."

"Is it safe from Nightmares?"

"Of course! My parents were the best magicians in the world!" Siyeon said with a flourish.

"Wait a second. You said pocket dimension? The last time we met, were we in a pocket dimension too?"

"Well, a dimension. It was a full and proper one. Wild. And dangerous. This dimension, however..." Siyeon walked over to the desk and grabbed one of the open books. She flipped through it before pinching a page between her thumb and forefinger. "Imagine this page is one dimension. And the next page is another, and so on and so forth."

"This dimension is one of those pages?"

"No, of course not! This dimension is this tennis ball all the way over here," she said waving a tennis ball above her head.

Where had that ball come from? Magic. Of course. I had to know... "Siyeon, how does your magic work?"

Siyeon strode to the stairs, then looked over her shoulder. "Come upstairs with me and find out." She smirked again. That dangerous smirk of hers that made me shiver. This time I knew it wasn't from fear.

I followed her up the stairs, enthralled by the sway of her hips with each step. We arrive upstairs. It was a notably larger room that was closed in by walls on all four sides. But the roof was open. The infinite majesty of deep space stretched above, like a canvas painted by magic itself. This room had everything. A kitchen. A small sub-room in the corner for the bathroom. Couches. A bed.

Siyeon took my hand and led me to a couch. She sat me down next to her. Our eyes never left each other's as we sat. We were both smiling, eyes glittering.

I looked into those deep brown eyes of hers and said, "This is magical."

Siyeon giggled. "Yes, it is."

"How does this all happen? Where does your magic come from? There must be some kind of fuel or battery or something."

"There is. It's the House of Nightmares."

"The House? Then how come the Nightmares don't come running every time you use magic? Surely they can feel when magic is being used."

Siyeon waggled a finger at me. "Ah, you're mistaken. The Nightmares are of the House. They are not part of the House, no?"

I stared blankly for a moment. "Huh?"

Siyeon smiled warmly. "They come from the House. They belong to the House. They love the House, even. But they are not magically linked to it in any way. They cannot feel what the House does. They cannot know the mischief I conjure."