Chapter 20

The next day, I arrived at the dining table where we all ate. It was breakfast, and the employees lightly chatted amongst themselves.

Maggie sat across from me as she bit into a piece of toast. "You know, he hasn't been asking to see me all vacation. I don't know why."

"Maybe he's busy." I shrugged, although I know Jack had been busy with me instead. "Jackie is here after all."

"Jackie doesn't care." Maggie rolled her eyes. "Besides, you're in that house now."

"I'm very professional." I lied as I poked my fork around in my plate.

"Well, not everyone's professional." Maggie smirked as she leaned in.

"What does that mean?" I asked with a grin. "What's the latest gossip?"

"Turns out your boy toy had another side to him. At the crack of dawn one of Jack's minions came over to tell him he was suspended." Maggie spilled the beans, and I choked a little on my food.

"Suspended? For what?" I asked in shock. I looked into Maggie's eyes, and with every second my guilt worsened.

"They never said in front of everyone." Maggie answered. "All that happened was that a man showed up, told him the news, then asked him to pack his things."

"Pack his things!" I dropped my mouth open.

"The President arranged a flight for him back home I'm sure." Maggie nodded. "So sad, he was real cute. It would've been nice to get to know him. Now The President is leisurely out on the golf course while the poor boy is probably wondering what his next job is."

"Excuse me, I need some air." I exhaled, standing up from the table. At that moment I felt like my appetite was lost.

"You barely touched your food, Janis." Maggie said as I stood up. Her eyes followed me as I walked around the table to exit. "Are you gonna come back for your plate? I'll finish it for you, I got a figure to upkeep."

I wore straight leg white pants, and a button up top that was tied to be cropped. A simple gold necklace with a heart pendant was around my neck, and a headband was in my hair to match my top.

My keds padded against the yellowish-green grass of the golf course, but I was stopped by a man in a black suit.

"I'm sorry, you can't go here now. The President is busy." He told me as he blocked me with his arm.

"I need to see him now." I told him, I could see Jack off in the distance playing golf.

"I'm sorry, you'll have to see him later. He'll call on you if he wants to see you." The man told me as his arm was in front of me.

I was insistent, trying to fight against him. "Jack!" I shouted out. "Jack!"

The President looked up at me. He wore white slacks and a blue polo shirt. His white golf shoes moved against the bright colored grass as he turned toward me.

"Let her through." He smiled, handing his golf club off to someone sitting in a golf cart. The man in the black suit removed his arm, and I strutted my way toward The President.

The President met me half way, and stood in front of me. "Since when did you call me Jack? Only family members really call me Jack." He said it with a cocky smile, obviously amused by my anger.

"I have a bone to pick with you." I squinted.

"A bone to pick with me? Why would that be?" He played dumb.

"I know what you did with him, and it's not right. Suspension? Was that necessary?" I angrily asked him.

"Well I thought termination would've been most fit, but I couldn't get enough evidence against him." Jack shrugged.

"Why didn't you suspend me? Or at least fire me and keep his position!" I asked him angrily.

"Oh, this is hysterical." Jack let out a hearty laugh. I watched as he turned away and laughed even harder. "You come over and you interrupt my golf game to complain about this, yet you don't even know why he got suspended?"

"What other reason could it be?" I asked him with my hand on my hip.

"It wasn't at all about him fucking you, Clover. No, I agreed to let that happen, remember?" He asked as he touched my chin with his finger.

"Then what were the terms?" I asked him as I closed my eyes.

"Well, in an indirect way, it could be due to fucking you that he hasn't done work all trip. He's in a program for interns to travel and work." Jack told me. Then, he brought the fabric the knot I had my shirt in between his fingers. "So far, he's only traveled and played."

"You know what? You're miserable." I shook my head. "You have all this money, and all this power, but it won't take away the fact that you're just a miserable man who gets kicks out of making those around him miserable."

Jack's face got serious, and his smile faded as I spoke.

"And you know what? You think you're the king of the world. You eat in fancy restaurants, bank roll trips to foreign counties and take others along, you have all the drugs you could ask for... but remember what got you there. Your father was a mobster." I said angrily.

"You know what?" He asked as he stepped closer to me. "A few years ago, a girl like you would've gotten taken out for a comment like that."

"Then do it. Kill me, Jack. Abuse your power one last time." I looked into his eye. Today, I was no longer afraid of him. I was suddenly able to put my foot down.

"I like you like this." Jack diverted the conversation. "A working girl speaking her mind."

"I'm through with you." I told him.

"You can't say that." Jack furrowed his eyebrows.

"I just did. And I quit." I told him, then turned around and walked off that golf course. I could feel his eyes on my back as I walked away, and it felt good. He could always remember me as the one he messed things up with.