Chapter 28

May, 1962

I resigned from my job at the White House, and officially moved out of the Row House. It was a sweet moment, as Debbie and Nancy insisted they'd visit me.

Susan could've believe Dick actually married me, and she couldn't come to terms with it. As Dick helped me move out she didn't say hello to either of us, she just locked herself in her room.

Debbie and Nancy were outside with Dick getting my final boxes in the car. I stood alone in the living room with Susan, and she stood there with her arms crossed.

"I can't believe you and him got married because of a pregnancy." Susan shook her head. "It's a disgrace."

"How would you know that?" I asked in shock.

"I found the papers confirming it on your vanity." She said as she stepped closer. "And I don't know why you got promotions and vacations so quickly at the office, but I suspect you knew someone high up."

I grinned. "And who would that be?"

"Definitely not The President." Susan huffed. "But probably one of the other men above us."

"It's been great hearing your conspiracies, Susan. But my husband is waiting for me outside." I smiled. What Susan said no longer bothered me.

As I walked down the stoop to walk toward Dick's car parked out front, Susan stood in the doorway.

"You know what? I'm glad you're finally leaving for good." Susan told me. "I can finally call you a nigger."

I smiled as she said that word, and she looked at me with widened eyes.

"I'm sorry, can you say that again?" I asked her. "A little louder this time."

See, it took everything for me not to go up to Susan and slap her. But I knew I was better than that, and I had something even worse for her in store anyway.

Since I was involved with The President, although I wasn't seeing him any longer the Secret Service still had my back, and their ey3 on me. A man in a black suit who was seemingly a passing by person stood near us.

"I said you're a dumb nigger." Susan angrily shouted.

I laughed. "Susan, you should watch what you say out in public."

"And why is that?" She asked with pierced lips, her face red with frustration. She wanted so badly to get a ride out of me.

"Because, you don't know who's listening." I told her. "Not everyone is for tomfoolery."

The man in the black suit who stood a few feet away took off his sunglasses, and gave me a wink. I smiled and stood at the passenger door if Dick's car as he opened it for me and hopped in.

"Bye, you— you coon!" Susan shouted out.

"Oh shut the hell up Susan!" Nancy shouted out.

"You give us migraines!" Debbie complained as they both began walking up the stoop.

Dick started up the car and drove away. I didn't look back as we moved forward. I was happy to find out from Dick that Susan lost her position at The White House after an anonymous employee sent in a complaint about her.

Dick and I sat at home in front of the television, and watched as people all gathered around for John F. Kennedy's birthday.

"We could've been there." Dick told me. "At work they gave me an invite for me and a plus one."

"But you get such a better view on tv." I joke and Dick laughed. He wrapped an arm around me as we watched it together.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the late Marilyn Monroe!" The announcer said into the microphone.

Marilyn came on stage with her usual glow, singing sexually to The President. I could only imagine Jackie's face as she sat next to her husband while Marilyn sang to him.

I wondered if she knew Marilyn was sleeping with Jack. I'm sure she did, Jackie was a smart cookie. She knew a lot but didn't waste her time getting overly upset.

The crowd roared as Marilyn jumped up and people began singing along

The crowd roared as Marilyn jumped up and people began singing along. A birthday cake bigger than life with sparklers was brought out in front of the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome The President Of The United States!" They announced. My heart skipped a beat as the camera turned to him while walking up that stage.

I wondered when the day would come that I'd be totally over my feelings for Jack. That day never would come, I loved him for the rest of my life.

The last time I heard his voice was in August in 1963. He called to tell me his son, Patrick, was born. He seemed worried, as if something was off.

A few days later there were headlines everywhere announcing the death of Jack's son.

Jack called once again in November, asking me to come on a trip with him to Dallas, Texas. He said he missed my presence in his life, and that he needed someone to help him through everything.

I declined, and decided to stay home with my husband.

On November 22, 1963 Dick and I watched the television together as Jackie and Jack were in a parade together. Suddenly, I saw a flash on the screen and Jack leaned over in the car.

"What is he doing?" I laughed as I watched

"What is he doing?" I laughed as I watched. A few seconds passed by, and he didn't move. He jolted again, and this time fell over.

Suddenly, a voice came over the video. "It seems as if the President has been shot..."

I didn't shed a tear that day. I sat there, in shock. I looked to Dick, who starred at the screen while colorful lines on it took the place of the previous images.

Night came, and I still sat in that same spot. The television showed news channels panicking and replaying the video constantly.

Dick walked around the apartment, and paced back and forth. None of us knew what was going to happen. All I knew was that the love of my life died, and I was never going to be the same.