Part 3

Manik was taken aback on hearing Alya's idea.

        Manik : "Your idea will serve as a temporary solution to the problem, but I don't feel it is the right thing to do."

        Manik : "How can you suggest me to take someone else as my girlfriend? Also, I don't want to lie to my family."

        Alya : "It may not be right, but we don't have any other option. What else can we do? Can you think of anything else? "

        Alya : "You are reacting as though I asked you to get a new girlfriend. I am only suggesting you to get someone to act as your girlfriend for a few days to convince your mom. Your mom isn't ready to believe you and if you don't take someone with you, she isn't going to spare you."

        Alya : "What if she selects a match for you and forces you to get engaged like how she has threatened you? What about us then? Our relationship might come to an end. Do you want to take that risk and give up on us without even trying? What is the harm in lying if it can save our relationship? We will ask for your family's forgiveness when we reveal the truth."

        Manik was in a fix. His lifestyle had changed to a certain extent after moving to Mumbai, but not his virtues. He didn't want to lie or put on an act, so he tried to come up with an alternative solution, but he wasn't successful.

        If he stuck to his virtues and went alone, there were chances that his mom would emotionally blackmail him and convince him to agree with her, however much he tries to refuse. So he reluctantly began to think on Alya's lines.

        Manik : "Even if we think of implementing your idea, how am I going to find someone to act like my girlfriend? I have to go home soon, so we don't have much time."

        Manik : "I can't think of anyone who I know that will be ready to act as my girlfriend. I also can't hire some stranger and take her home with me. You only should help me with this."

        Alya was deep in thought. She thought of all the people she could approach for help. The only person who came to her mind prominently was Nandini.

        Alya : "I will try talking to Nandini. She helps everyone, she may help us too."

        Manik agreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        After Alya came home, she explained her situation to Nandini.

        Alya : "Can you please act like Manik's girlfriend?"

        Nandini : "Sorry Alya, I can't do this. It isn't a play to act. It is real life, you will be dealing with real people, not mere characters."

        Alya : "Please! It is a matter of my life. Manik's mom is hell bent on getting him married to someone else if he doesn't take someone with him as his girlfriend."

        Nandini : "It isn't right to play with people's feelings, it is a sin. Please don't force me to commit that sin."

        Alya : "I am asking you to act, so if it is a sin, it's my sin, not yours."

        Nandini : "You have other friends too, then why don't you approach them? Why me?"

        Alya : "Manik has to leave soon and we don't have much time. I approached you thinking that you are your own decision maker. You don't have to take permission from anyone else. Your boss is your friend too, so it won't be a problem for you to take a few days off. You won't have to inform your boss much in advance."

        Alya : "Please Nandu, you help everyone. Can't you help me? You will be my and Manik's savior. Your help will save our future from getting destroyed. You only have to act for a few days."

        Nandini was in a dilemma. She was always ready to help, but she never went against her morals. She couldn't bear to see Alya distressed, so she wanted to help her. At the same time, she didn't want to lie, pretend or hurt anyone else's feelings.

        After a lot of convincing from Alya's side, Nandini hesitantly agreed.

        Alya : "Thanks a lot! I will ask Manik to come over and explain the details of what needs to be done."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Alya informed Manik and asked him to meet them at their apartment. Manik came to their apartment the next day.

        Manik met Nandini for the first time at Alya's birthday party. After that, Manik saw or met Nandini very few times at the apartment when he came to pick up or drop off Alya. He had seen Nandini helping her neighbors - carrying bags for elderly people, assisting children, etc. The interaction between Manik and Nandini was very limited, so both Manik and Nandini didn't know much about each other.

        Manik : "Thank you for agreeing to help us!"

        Nandini : "You are welcome!"

        Manik gave Nandini a few details that he could think of during the past day.

        Manik : "I will think and let you know if there is anything else to be discussed on our way home. For now, I have a request. I am from a traditional family, so my mom would expect you to wear something traditional."

        Manik : "If you have any questions, you can ask me now, or you can call me at any of these numbers."

        Manik gave Nandini his business card. Nandini hadn't been able to think over it much, so she didn't have much to ask immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        The next day, Nandini was waiting for Arya to come to work. She went to Arya's cabin as soon as he came. He was not only her boss, but also a very good and caring friend.

        Arya : "Good morning Miss. Happiness! It looks like you have been waiting for me to come in, what's the matter?"

        Nandini : "Good morning! Yes, I was waiting for you. I need a few days off."

        Arya was concerned.

        Arya : "What happened to you? Are you alright?"

        Nandini : "What would happen to me? I am perfectly fine."

        Arya : "Then why do you need a few days off? You don't take a single day off even if I ask you take a break."

        Nandini explained Alya and Manik's problem to Arya and how she was trying to help them.

        Arya : "I understand that you are always ready to help others, that is how we met too, but there is a limit to helping others. It is their life, so it is their problem. Let them solve it on their own. Why do you want to get involved in it?"

        Nandini : "I denied at first, but it is a matter of their future, Arya. They couldn't come up with any other solution to their problem and they didn't have much time to approach anyone else too, so I agreed."

        Arya : "I am not bothered about them, but I am worried about you. Your helping nature shouldn't get you into trouble. How can you go with a stranger and stay with him?"

        Arya : "I thought you weren't well when you asked for a few days off, but now I know what is wrong, you have gone nuts. You are worried about someone else, don't you think you should be worried about your own safety?"