Part 28

It was the day of the Mehendi. Manik heard one of his younger cousins talking to her mom.

        Younger cousin : "Mom, I am feeling very hungry. Can I wash my hands and eat?"

        Mom : "You will have to keep the mehendi for some more time if you want it to come out well. I will feed you if you are hungry."

        It reminded Manik of Mukti's mehendi when Nandini couldn't eat though she was hungry because she had mehendi on her hands. He started looking for Nandini and found her sitting amongst other girls. Manik felt it wouldn't be right to go there and interfere. He saw Mukti passing by. Mukti was yet to get mehendi applied.

        Manik : "Can you check if Nandini is feeling hungry and give her something to eat if she is?"

        Mukti : "She just had snacks, so she should be good."

        Mukti saw Alya. She thought Manik will ask about Alya too.

        Mukti : "Alya had too, so you don't have to worry about her."

        Manik hadn't remembered that he had to check on Alya.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        It was time for Sangeet. Everyone finished there dance performances.

        Announcer : "Now it is time for the last, but not the least, performance."

        Except a very few, others didn't know about this performance. They were wondering who else was left to perform. Two lights were switched on focusing on two people, one on Nandini and the other on Dadi. Everyone was surprised seeing Dadi on stage. Their performance was a fusion of olden and modern times.

        They finished the performance with lot of applause. Manik did see his dadi dancing, but his eyes were mostly glued to Nandini. Nandini held Dadi's hand and brought her down the stage. She made her sit on a chair. She went to get a drink for Dadi.

        Dadi : "How was our surprise?"

        Navya : "It was mind blowing! We didn't expect this at all. When did you both practice, we didn't come to know about it at all."

        Dadi : "It was supposed to be our secret. Nandu and me were in touch through your modern devices, what you call laptop and video call. After she came here, we practiced behind closed doors. Everyone was busy practicing for their performance so no one came to know."

        Navya : "Thanks! I don't remember seeing you dance at all."

        Dadi : "Even I didn't think I would be able to dance. You have to thank Nandu for that."

        Nandini came there by then.

        Nandini : "Here Dadi, you must be exhausted."

        Dadi : "No dear, I am fine."

        Navya : "Thanks Nandu. We got to see Dadi dancing because of you. Also, I didn't expect you would give a performance for my Sangeet, I am glad you did."

        The venue and the events were the same like last time, but the difference was that Manik and Nandini were away from each other, that is until now. But both had remembered the time they were together. Nandini stayed away from Manik, but Manik's gaze was on her from time to time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        It was time for taking family photographs. Nandini wasn't a part of their family and she had decided to distance from their family after the wedding, so she escaped from that place. They were trying to gather everyone together for the photo session. Alya was standing next to Manik, but her phone started ringing. So she left the place to take the call, since everyone wasn't there yet.  Manik's eyes were looking for Nandini, when he heard Navya.