Part 27

Nandini couldn't figure out why Manik wasn't telling her where they were going. He had informed her in advance where they were going before they left for all the other places. She had been with him in the past and she knew him well enough to trust him, so she didn't ask him any more questions.

        Manik stopped the car. Nandini looked outside, but there wasn't anything there. Nandini was confused as to why they were there.

        Manik : "We haven't reached our destination yet, we will be there in a few minutes. There's something I wanted to show you. I am hoping it will be a surprise for you. I wasn't sure if you would come if I told you earlier."

        Manik : "Now, I would prefer you close your eyes till we reach our destination. I didn't plan in advance, so I don't have anything to blindfold you. Can I use part of your dupatta to blindfold you?"

        Nandini still didn't have any idea where he was taking her, but she agreed to what he said. Manik blindfolded her. He didn't want her to get any clue till she reaches there.

        After driving a little further, he parked the car and asked her to come out and she did.

        Manik : "We will have to walk a little before we reach our destination."

        Nandini : "How am I going to walk with the blindfold?"

        Manik : "You don't have to worry about that. I am there to guide you."

        Manik held her hand and started taking her to the place he intended to. At one place the walking surface wasn't even and she stumbled. Manik came forward and held her from falling. Nandini didn't fall on the ground, but she couldn't see. She bumped into Manik and held him for support.

        It wasn't the first time Manik was holding her hand or was so close to her, but it was the first time Nandini experienced a myriad of emotions. Manik holding her hand itself had invoked a different feeling in her, but she tried to ignore it and behave normal. But now when Manik was so close to her, she had no control over herself.

        Nandini could feel his warm breath. She almost quivered under his touch. Her heart was racing because of his proximity. She had just stumbled, but she still felt safe in his hold. She didn't want to come off his hold or move away from him. She had forgotten everything else at that moment, but she came back to reality soon. She steadied herself and moved a little away from him.

        Nandini's thoughts : "How could I lose control over my emotions? I shouldn't feel like that for him, it isn't right. Thank god, I didn't end up doing something which would cause embarrassment later. Hope he hasn't figured out what I feel for him. I won't be able to face him if he did."

        Manik's case wasn't much different. He had forgotten where they were and why they were there too. He was lost in that moment. He could feel his heart beating faster. He didn't feel like moving Nandini away from him. He didn't move away from her either. Having her close to him just felt right at that moment. He came back to reality and remembered why they were there when Nandini distanced herself from him.

        Both didn't have the slightest idea of how their proximity had affected the other. Nandini knew about her feelings but was trying to suppress it. She was blindfolded to see what Manik felt at that moment. Manik was confused with his feelings all these days. He had just begun to sense what he felt for her. Before he could reflect on what he felt and why, Nandini moved away from him. So he hadn't even thought of finding out how she felt for him.

        Manik : "Just a few more steps, we will be there."

        Manik didn't feel like leaving her hand, but he did so reluctantly. He was here for Nandini and he had to concentrate on her for now and not on how he felt.