Simba

A/n Oh my gosh guysss?? 836 reads?? 26 votes?? Thank you so much! So I was wondering, I know that this is just a oneshot book, but do you guys want me to update more regularly? Like on a specific schedule? If so, please tell me how often. Thanks! 

"Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee?" Peter begged, tugging on Steve's sleeve. Steve groaned and looked down at his 7 year old son. 

"Peter, honey, we talked about this already. We are not ready to adopt a dog yet. Besides, I'm pretty sure Tony is allergic." Peter pouted, then brightened up as an idea crossed his mind. 

"Can we at least go to the dog shelter and look at them?" Steve raised his eyebrows. "We don't have to adopt one," Peter said hurriedly, already anticipating his dad's response, "We could just look and maybe see if there are any we might want. Can we dad?" He put on his best puppy eyes, the ones he knew his dad couldn't resist. Steve sighed.

"I don't know Peter...." Peter channeled all the desire and love in his little body into his eyes, silently pleading. "Well...alright. But remember" Steve added, seeing Peter leap for joy. "We're not adopting one. NO. MATTER. WHAT."

-30 minutes later-

Peter dashed through the shelter, running from crate to crate and looking in at the dogs. Steve followed more slowly, glancing around at all the barking dogs. He flinched as one of the dogs lunged against the door, barking furiously.

"Pete, I'm not so sure this is such a good idea.." Peter looked up with sad eyes from his position on the floor near one of the cages; his arm was halfway through the chain-link door and he was petting the small golden-brown dog inside.

"Why not?" Steve's anxiety softened as he looked at his son, his small, hopeful son. He sat down near Peter and extended his hand for the dog to sniff.

"Who's this?" He asked as the dog smelled his hand, then rubbed his face along the door. 

"Simba" Peter said after checking the information card. "He's a one-year old mix who was rescued as a puppy from a mill." He reached through the door again to rub Simba's ear. 

"Hello there!" Steve looked up to see a volunteer of the shelter smiling down at him. He jumped to his feet.

"Hey there. I'm Steve." She shook his offered hand and looked down at Peter, who was still playing with Simba. 

"Are you two looking to adopt?" Steve smiled and shook his head.

"No, we're just looking today. Plus," he added, "We have to get approval from the boss anyway." She nodded and knelt down by Peter.

"Would you like to play with him?" she asked gently. Peter's eyes widened and he nodded enthusiastically, quickly standing up and practically vibrating with excitement as she stood up and unlatched the door to the crate. Simba tumbled out of his cage and immediately jumps up on Peter, who falls down with a laugh. He starts rubbing Simba's ears and the dog flops on his side, begging for a belly rub. Steve looked at them playing together and sighed.

"Well.... Maybe we are looking to adopt after all."

-30 minutes later-

Peter burst out of the elevator with Simba eagerly tugging at his leash, while Steve staggered in behind them, arms loaded with dog supplies. Steve set everything down on the kitchen counter and began to sort through it.

"Lets see here... Food, bowls, toys, bed, leash, collar-" Just then, Tony came up the elevator, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey hon, I saw that you left the tower earlier, whatcha doi-" He froze as Simba came running up to him, feet skidding on the floor. He frowned, and Peter, hurling in after the puppy, froze when he saw his dad's face.

"Oh, um... Hi Dad." Peter stuttered nervously. Tony narrowed his eyes.

"Peter." he said slowly, reaching down to pick up the puppy sitting by his shoes. "Who is this?" Peter gulped.

"That's Simba." Steve swooped in to his son's rescue and took the dog from Tony's arms. "We went to the shelter today." Tony's eyes narrowed even further. 

"Did you now?" he asked suspiciously, turning towards Steve. Steve nodded.

"We weren't going to adopt originally, but we saw him and we couldn't help ourselves." Tony sighed.

"Well...." Tony looked down at Peter, who was looking at his feet. He slowly smiled. "I suppose it would be cruel to put him back in the shelter now." Peter's head shot up, he broke into an amazed smile and hugged his dad.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" he cried, turning towards Steve. "Did you hear that Pops? We can keep him!!" Tony grabbed Peter before he could run off.

"Yes you can keep him, but I expect you and your Pops to be responsible for him." he said sternly, glancing at Steve. "That means feeding him, taking him for walks, giving him baths, the whole shebang." Peter nodded. "Also," Tony added, "I don't want to waking up one morning in my lab to find dog toys or anything like that, got it?" Peter nodded even harder and ran off with Simba to go play. Tony sighed.

"You won't regret this." Steve said, coming up behind him to give the shorter man a hug. Tony sighed and smiled.

"I sure hope not."