Hurt

"Cap? Cap, are you ok?" Tony's worried voice blurred as Steve struggled to breathe. He groaned, shaking his head. Well, that's not good he thought as his vision hazed in and out of focus. He felt something touch his ribs and he hissed, drawing into himself. As he moved, a slight crunch came from his torso. That's even worse he thought through the red fog of pain

"Hey there, woah, are you alright, Steve?"

"M'fine, I just gotta-" he coughed, spewing blood all over his suit and Tony's. Tony swore.

"Jesus fucking Christ- JARVIS, run vitals."

"Pulse is erratic and respiratory functions are in critical condition. I am detecting a pulmonary contusion in his left lung, likely caused by a hit to the chest. Captain Rogers also has several broken ribs and is suffering from hypotension due to blood loss. I predict that, unless treated in the next ten minutes, Captain Rogers with begin to develop a pericardial tamponade, which could lead to ventricular fibrillation and death." Tony's face turned white as he looked down at his husband, who was struggling to breathe. His chest rose and fell irregularly, and every so often he coughed up spurts of blood. Tony steeled his face and began barking instructions.

"Natasha, turn him on his side. It will hurt, but it will help the blood drain. JARVIS, call emergency services. Clint, stabilize his neck. We don't need to add a broken spine to his list of injuries. We don't have any oxygen here JARVIS, do we?

"None that I am aware of sir."

"Alright, well, we'll have to make do. JARVIS, call Peter and tell him what happened. Tell him we'll be there soon and to just sit tight for now."

"Yes, sir. Emergency services are on their way." Tony nodded, then bent down close to Steve's face.

"Hey there Cap. How're you feeling?" Steve wheezed and coughed up some more blood. "That bad huh?" He nodded weakly and closed his eyes. "Steve," Tony said urgently, shaking his shoulders gently, "Steve you gotta stay awake, can you do that for me?" Steve forced his eyes open and smiled weakly at his husband.

"Tony," he gasped, clutching his ribs, "Tony, if I don't make it-" Tony put a gentle finger to his lips.

"Now don't you start with any of that goodbye nonsense, you hear me?" he said shakily, tears filling his eyes. "You're gonna live, and you know why?" Steve chuckled, bright red blood dribbling out of his mouth. "You're gonna live because... Because dammit Rogers I love you," Tony was crying freely now, with Steve's hand pressed to his face. "I love you Rogers and I don't-I don't know what I'd do without you. You're my light, my world, and I need you. Hell, even if I didn't need you, Peter needs you. So don't give up. Please Steve," Tony sobbed, "don't give up." Just then, an ambulance pulled up to the scene, and the paramedics whisked Steve and Tony away to the hospital. Natasha was left standing in the dust, drenched in blood, sweat, and tears. She turned to Happy, who had just pulled up, and motioned to the car.

"Come on Happy. We've got a little spider to collect."

---

Peter and Natasha rushed into the hospital, immediately seeing the pale, blank face of Tony sitting in the waiting room. Peter hurried over to his dad and crashed into him, hugging Tony as if he was the one on death's door. Tony hugged him back, relief flooding his face as he closed his eyes, savoring the feel and the warmth of his son. After about a minute, Peter pulled away, searching Tony's face worriedly.

"Will he be ok?" he asked, anxiety lacing his voice. Tony let out a shaky breath.

"He's in surgery now. The doctors say that if he pulls through this one, it's likely he'll survive in the following weeks, barring any complications. He got hurt pretty badly."

"And what are the odds of him surviving this one?" Tony took a deep breath and looked at his lap.

"About 40 out of a hundred." Peter's face went pale and he sat down heavily in a nearby chair.

"Dad?" he said quietly, looking towards Tony. "What-what'll we do if he-if he doesn't make it?" Tony's head shot up and he looked towards Peter with fire in his eyes.

"I'm going to tell you the same thing I told him." he spat. "He. Will. Not. Die. I refuse to even consider it. All of this goodbye bullshit is pointless. He won't die. He's Captain America for fuck's sake. He shouldn't be in there. I'm the one who should be in there, who should be hurt, not him. It was never supposed to be him. It should have been me." Tony was hyperventilating now, his chest heaving up and down as he struggled to calm himself. "It should have been me it should have been me it should have been me I should have done something I should have saved you, Steve, I'm sorry I'm so so so sorry." Natasha, who had been leaning against the doorframe, rushed over and grabbed his hands, forcing them apart and leaning into him to stop his trembling.

"Hey, hey there, its ok Tony," she said softly, "Everything's ok. You're here with me. It's ok." Tony flinched away from her voice and instinctively hunched over to protect himself. "Tony. Tony, look at me." She gently grabbed his chin and forced him to look at her, smiling when he complied. "There we go. Could you name four things around me that are green, Tony?" He nodded shakily and started to look around.

"That plant. That old man's sweater. The pin on the nurse's scrubs. Peter's shoes." Natasha nodded and smiled.

"Good. Now two blue things?"

"Your eyes. The ceiling."

"Great job. Last one, could you name two things you can smell?"

"Antibacterial soap and watery coffee." Natasha nodded again and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Tony seemed much more in control now, and he looked up with sad eyes at Peter, who had watched the whole thing from his chair.

"Are you ok Dad?" he said hesitantly. Tony looked up and was about to respond when a surgeon walked into the room. The group lept to their feet and they swarmed the exhausted doctor.

"Is he all right? Will he be ok?" The doctor rubbed his face tiredly.

"He had several broken ribs which had punctured his left lung, and as a result, blood was filling his chest cavity. Because of his advanced healing factor, by the time we got in there, the tissue around the punctured lung had already healed, sealing the rib into the lung. We had to go back in and cut the rib out, reset it, and then sew up his lung." Tony took in a sharp breath and leaned on Natasha.

"Is he going to survive?" he asked hesitantly, almost afraid to hear the answer. The doctor allowed a small smile.

"Yes." Peter and Natasha erupted into cheers at this statement, hugging each other and laughing with relief. Tony just looked back at the doctor, knowing they weren't out of the woods yet. "However-" the doctor continued, silencing the two, "it's still possible he could develop complications after surgery, and we need to be on the lookout for pneumonia. He will probably also have increased pain in that area, and I strongly suggest he stay out of fights for at least another 6 months. Given his increased healing factor, I don't think we have to worry about other complications, but one can never be too careful." Tony let out a small sigh, allowing himself a tiny smile.

"Could we see him?" he asked.

"Yes," the doctor said, "but I will warn you, it's not pretty. He's on a ventilator, for now, so don't be shocked when you see it. I'm sure you've seen worse, Mr. Stark, but I have to warn you. Some people pass out when they see a loved one on life support." Tony steeled his face and brought Natasha and Peter close, holding each of their hands. he nodded, and the doctor led him off to bring his family back together.

A/n I'm back y'all! Sorry for being absent for so long, I thought having a deadline would help me write, but it turns out not! Anyway I'm gonna update more reguarly now (I know I've said that before but I actually will) and I started a new account on Archive of our Own! My user is BlueFeather30 *cough* follow me *cough* Anyway thanks for reading!