Sleep Tight

"Seriously? What happened? Why would-" Tony was speaking angrily into the phone, tie in hand and shirt unbuttoned. Steve walked into the bedroom, dressed in only a towel, and frowned when he saw the state of his husband. "WELL WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?" Tony roared into the phone, and then abruptly hung up, throwing his device onto the bed and sitting down with a huff of frustration.

"Are you OK?" Steve asked, hesitantly approaching the bed and sitting next to him. Tony put his head in his hands.

"The goddamn babysitter canceled," he muttered. Steve rubbed his back soothingly.

"Honey, that's OK, we can just find ano-" Tony cut him off.

"At such short notice? I don't think so, Steve." Steve was about to reply when Natasha walked in, gym bag in hand.

"Something wrong?" she asked, sipping from her water bottle, "I thought I heard shouting."

"The babysitter for Peter canceled." Steve explained, "and Tony's just a little worried that we might not get our date night." Tony looked up slowly, an idea going off in his brain.

"Could you help?"

Natasha blinked. "Me? But I'm terrible with-" Tony waved her away.

"No you're not," he scoffed, "You love Peter, and he adores spending time with you. And besides, we really need some time off." Natasha nodded, then looked at Steve.

"Don't look at me," he said, putting his hands up defensively, "I mean, we'd really appreciate it, but if you don't want to then you are by no means obligated to."

"Please??" Tony chimed in, looking at the redhead with clasped hands. She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"OK, I'll do it. What time will you guys be back?"

"We were planning to be away the whole night.." Tony began, glancing at his husband who was reddening by the second, "but if you're not comfortable with that then we can be back sooner." Natasha made a disgusted face.

"God yes, just please get away from me!" They all laughed, and Steve and Tony finished getting ready and went downstairs.

---

"Ok Peter, you be good for Auntie Natasha, alright?" Peter nodded happily and looked up at his aunt.

"I promise I'll be good Auntie Natasha!" She smiled at him and swept him up into her arms, mussing up his hair and giving him a peck on the nose, causing him to giggle with delight. The two men smiled at her.

"Alright, so just remember his bedtime's at 8, there's pizza in the fridge for dinner, he can have something small for dessert, but no sugar after 7:30, Ok?

"I got it, I got it. You boys go and have fun," she said, making shooing motions with her hands, "I got this covered." They waved their final goodbyes and rushed out the door. Natasha sighed and smiled.

"I've handled aliens, Hydra, and an army of robots," she said quietly to herself, "how hard could this be?" She clapped her hands together and looked down at Peter. "Okay, kiddo, what do you want to do?" He broke out in a grin and grabbed her by the hand, dragging her down the hall to his playroom.

"I wanna paint!" She breathed a little sigh of relief and smiled. Just painting, Natasha, she thought to herself, as far as kids activities go, you could've done a lot worse.

"Alright, buddy, what're we painting?" Peter ran over to a corner, where two small easels were set up, along with a large variety of kid's watercolor and finger paints. He sat down on a little stool and started squeezing paint from a bottle onto a small, plastic palate. She sat down beside him and started setting up her easel. Peter started messily slapping red paint onto the pad of paper, eyes squinted and tongue out in concentration.