First Halloween: The Aftermath

November 1

Steve awoke to the sounds of violent retching. He shot out of bed and raced to the bathroom, where Peter was vomiting his guts out into the toilet. Tony was by his side, rubbing his back soothingly and comforting him. Steve rushed over to his husband's side.

"What happened?" he asked frantically, staring at the mess of half-digested candy in the toilet. Tony grimaced.

"He ate too much candy and now he's throwing it all up." Steve sat back on his heels and breathed a sigh of relief.

"So it's not any sickness or anything?" Tony shook his head.

"I'll have Bruce check it tomorrow, but judging by the contents," he gestured to the toilet, "I'd say it's just too many sweets." Peter had finished throwing up at this point and sat down weakly into Tony's lap.

"How're you feeling, little man?" he asked gently, wiping the sweat and excess vomit away from Peter's face with a washcloth.

"Tired," he stated, burrowing his face into his dad's chest. "My stomach hurts." Tony and Steve chuckled together.

"You don't say?" Steve said teasingly, coxing a small smile out of the exhausted boy.

---

Peter lay on the couch, swaddled in blankets with a bowl of soup in his hands and a trashcan by his side. Steve was snuggled up beside him, fussing with the TV remote and making sure he had everything he needed. Tony was talking to Bruce in the kitchen.

"So it was definitely just too much candy?" he asked, glancing over at his son. Bruce nodded.

"Yep. Make sure to keep him hydrated and monitor him to make sure there isn't anymore vomiting and you should be good to go." Tony exhaled and rubbed his face tiredly.

"Thanks, Bruce. I was really worried about him."

"No problem buddy. Go spend time with your kid." Tony smiled and headed over to the couch.

"Daddy!" Peter exclaimed. Steve grinned at him.

"We were just deciding what movie we wanna watch. Peter and I were thinking Lion King if that's OK with you." Tony nodded.

"That sounds great, but first," he pointed a finger at Peter, "we need to talk." Peter shrank into the couch until all you could see of him was a pair of brown eyes and a little tuft of brown hair.

"I'm not mad at you," Tony began, speaking carefully, "I just want to be clear on the situation. You came home from trick-or-treating, went to 'bed'," he made air quotes around the word bed, "and then proceded to wake back up and eat so much candy that you got sick?" Peter nodded, pulling the blankets over his head even more and refusing to look at Tony.

"...Yes?" he said quietly. Tony looked stern for a second before making eye contact with Steve. A small smile broke out on his face and slowly widened until they both burst out laughing. Peter's head shot back up and he looked at his dads in confused amusement. "So you're not mad at me?" Tony scooped Peter up and fell onto the couch with him, Peter shrieking with laughter.

"No, we're not mad at you, underoos! I've done the same thing more times than I can count!" Tony chuckled. "That doesn't mean it's OK though. Next time, maybe hold off on the candy until the next day? I get that it's exciting but you gotta work with me here buddy. Agreed?" Peter nodded happily.

"Agreed! Now can we watch Lion King?" Tony and Steve dissolved into giggling fits again.

"Sure thing champ," Steve said, and they all settled down on the couch to watch their movie.

---

Later that afternoon, the family was eating a late lunch, laughing and talking. A comfortable silence fell over them.

"So was it worth it?" Tony asked suddenly. Both Steve and Peter looked confused.

"What do you mean?" Peter asked, tilting his head like a puppy dog.

"Eating all that candy. Was it worth it?" Peter blushed and looked down at his feet.

"The throwing up part was not fun at all," Steve and Tony chuckled at this, "but getting to hang out with you guys? That's the part that I liked." The superheroes' hearts melted, and they swooped him into a hug before Peter could see their tears.

"We love you, little man," Tony whispered into his ear. Steve just squeezed him tighter.

"I love you guys too," Peter wheezed, "but you're hugging really hard." Steve laughed and they untangled themselves from the hug. The rest of the afternoon was spent together, which, in Peter's opinion, was the best way to spend an afternoon.

---

(Epilogue)

"Well, this was a fun day but guess what Peter!" Peter perked up his ears.

"What?"

"Tomorrow's a school day! So early bedtime for you." Peter slumped in disappointment, walking slowly towards his room.

"I guess..." he said sadly. On his way to bed, he passed his half-full candy bag. He immediately perked up as an idea crossed his mind. I have to go to school tomorrow, he thought, Unless...

A/n OK OK I know I said I would update every Friday and I'm really sorry I haven't updated sooner. This one is short but sweet and I hoped you guys like it! (all 5000 of you? that's insane!) As always thanks for reading and please comment and vote!