Ch.12 ~ Not Today

With each day that passed quietly, the gangsters more on edge. Hoseok almost opened fire on the microwave the other day when he heard the 'beep', he thought it was an attack and I had to quickly calm the situation before my pizza rolls fell victim. Even the group's most rambunctious members; Taehyung and Jungkook, have been oddly still like they're waiting for the roof to cave in at any moment and a fleet of ninjas to come pouring in. Yoongi had barely spoken two words to me, he's always coming and going from the mansion with his lips set in a hard line, I guess not much has changed there.

I think Jimin had taken it upon himself to distract me from the obvious tension everyone was feeling. He would always smile at me but I could tell that it was forced. He would sit and watch my favorite Disney movies with me, sometimes Jungkook would join in as well but he would get huffy and leave when I glared at him for throwing an arm around my shoulders. I don't know why, but I had this feeling that whatever is going on between us would be best if kept a secret. Maybe it was because I'm not exactly sure what is going on between us or maybe it was something else that caused me to get uneasy at his PDA attempts.

Namjoon had been bunkered down in his office most of the time, low sounds of frustration would occasionally reach my ears if I happened to walk down that hallway. Every now and again Jin's voice could also be heard from behind the door. His reasonable words helping sort through the jumble of thoughts running rampant in the leader's quick-witted mind. More than once, I had found myself with my fist raised, ready to knock on his door and offer if there was any way I could help. But I always ended up shaking my head and continuing down the hall. What help could I be to the leader of one of the most feared gangs?

I went down to the large white kitchen to find a snack, unfortunately, I'm a stress eater. In the mood for something salty and covered in butter, I throw a bag of popcorn into the, thankfully still alive, microwave. As the pleasant sound of popping filled my ears I moved on to the large stainless steel refrigerator for a drink to wash the snack down. The boys had a couple of really old antique looking glass liquor bottles on top of the fridge that I had never really paid much attention to. I guess that was a mistake because as I pulled open the door, one of those bottles came crashing down. I let out an injured yelp as the heavy, half full bottle hit me in the head before colliding with the marble floor and shattering into millions of pieces around my bare feet.

"crap" I muttered, my hand rubbing at the sore spot on my head. I surveyed the scene around me, trying to figure out how I was going to get away from the glass without getting any in my feet. I needed to clean this up quickly before one of the boys see. That liquor might have been expensive or valuable... I felt bad for breaking it and I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to kill me when they see this mess.

Trapped between the fridge and the sprawled out glass bits some of which had shattered so finely that it resembled glistening snow amongst a brown puddle of whatever liquor that was, it looked like the only way out was over. I carefully picked one leg up and tested how far I could step over the pile...I think I'll just make it into the safe area.... I placed my toes down and immediately regret doing so. Pain nipped at the bottom of my foot where tiny bits of glass had dug into my skin.

I quickly retracted my leg and was now stood on only one foot and leaning back against the fridge in defeat.

"what happened?" the sound of a masculine voice made my heart race. I prepared myself for yelling and cursing, but what I got was a very concerned "are you hurt?"

With watery eyes, I tried to explain, "I was just getting a drink and one of those bottles must have been too close to the edge or something, I swear I didn't mean to break it"

"Hey, shh" Namjoon tried to calm me with one hand raised out to me. "it's fine, the alcohol doesn't matter, are you okay?" he asked with genuine concern.