Chapter 5

After changing into a red silk dress and laced the built in corset myself I quickly slipped on some black heels and placed the crystal necklace around my neck that my Grandmother had also left me after she passed. I walked out and he nodded, offering me his arm as I finished pinning my hair up into a messy but elegant bun. I placed my hand in the crook of his arm and allowed him to lead me to his carriage. I was not sure this was OK but I needed to keep him distracted long enough that he forgot about the voice he heard in Christine's dressing room. 

          At the place he had intended to take Christine He helped me out of the carriage and I felt like people were looking at me but I knew it was all in my head. I had disappeared from the view of society after Grandmother's death and no one knew what I had grown to look like. 

           After dinner Raoul took me back to the Opera House and walked me back to my room. It was late and I was sure he was going to go home without asking of Christine at this point. "I'll go to say goodnight to Chrisinte." He said and went to walk away. I grabbed his hand and stopped him. "Think of the rumors that would spread if someone were to see you entering her room at this time of night Monsieur." I said and he nodded. "You are right. Thank you. And it was very rude of me to rush to another woman after taking you out tonight." He said and bowed in apology. "No need to say you're sorry. I know you're in love with her. I only took your offer to get some fresh air from this place. I've sworn off marriage and courting since what happened." I said and he nodded. "Well goodnight." He said. "Goodnight Monsieur." I said and shut the door to my room. I sighed in relief as I undid the corset and I could breathe again. 

         After putting on night clothes I got into bed and sighed in happiness. The comfortability was like ecstasy. I quickly fell into a deep sleep and had good dreams for the night. 

         The next morning I woke and Christine was calling through my door. I quickly got up and let her in, shutting the door behind her. I led her to my bed where I lay her down as her breathing was heavy and she seemed ready to pass out. "Christine, tell me what has happened to you?" I asked her. "I have met the devil Estel. Oh Estel please, he claimed to be the Angel of Music but he was the devil himself." She said. "Christine, please. Calm down. What makes you say he is the Devil?" I asked her. "I took his mask off of his face and he...he....oh he seemed ready to kill me as I gazed at his face. His face Estel, it seemed almost burned." She said. "Christine, Christine. Calm your poor nerves my dear friend. You are frightened, only frightened." I sang softly and her breathing slowed. "Estel, I was afraid." She breathed out. "You merely took him off guard my dear friend. Imagine if your face was deformed like so and someone took off the cover you used without permission. Would you not be angry?" I asked her. "I suppose so. I am sorry to have bothered you Estel." She said and I smiled. "You are of no annoyance my friend. Perhaps give the man another chance? Perhaps he is a good man?" I said. 

            After assuring her and her falling asleep I sighed and smiled as I looked at her now peaceful face. A soft knock came and I quietly opened the door. Meg stood there and I smiled as she looked passed me. "She sleeps now. I have calmed her nerves." I said and Meg nodded, coming in as I moved to let her do so. "Did she speak of what had happened?" She asked. "No, she wasn't very clear about it." I lied and Meg sighed as she knelt beside the bed. She gently grabbed Christine's hand and held it in hers. 

          That night came and I sighed as Christine left my room, apologizing. I sat on my bed and sighed in content as she left, then got visibly annoyed. The mirror on my wall stared at me and I walked up to it, opening it and walking in. This time the walls were not lit and I felt my way through, finally finding my way back to his lair. "Erik? Are you here?" I called out. "Leave me be." He said, his voice sounding like it was coming from the left. I walked until I seen I had come across a room separated by a curtain. I opened it and Erik sat there, a music box with a monkey playing the symbols in front of him. "I said to leave me be." He said, his voice sounding hurt. "You have no right to sound as though you are the hurt one. Christine came to me in a panic. She looked as though she was afraid for her life! She's so easily frightened Erik and the fact that the Angel she had known and looked up to for so long yelled at her and looked as though he wanted to kill her hurt her so very much! You cannot be upset with her! How was she to know you wore that mask to cover a deformity?" I scolded him.