Chapter 9

He's not in school today. I wander through the hallways, the shadows of people hustling and bustling towards their classes, dismissing me as another insignificant factor in this world.

He wasn't in the form class we shared and of course, I wasn't the only one who noticed.

"Where's Parker?" Janet stands with her arms crossed, waiting for me at the door. Her caramel coloured hair pulled up in a tight ponytail on her head, her blue eyes narrow at me inquisitively. The bubblegum swirling around in her overly glossed mouth was making me feel dizzy. "Don't you guys usually hang out?"

I'm speechless. Well, technically, I always am but this time it was as a result of surprise. Firstly, because this was the first time Janet Horsley had directly spoken to me and secondly because she noticed me. She noticed me and Parker. She noticed that Parker and I were friends.

I manage to shrug my shoulders and turn myself away, indicating the end of our very short-lived one-sided conversation.

But where was Parker? I don't think I'll be able to get through this day without him- as pathetic as it sounds. I've somehow become attached to his friendship and I know it is definitely not healthy at all but I can't help it.
This sudden urge to see him overcomes my entire body and I can feel it surging through me, filling every inch. I want to hear his laughter and feel his reassuring little hand squeezes. I want to give sarky comments to his terrible jokes. I want to tease him and ruffle his hair. I want to ask him about the world and how on earth it works. I want- I need to see him.

I pull out my phone, "Pantsuit girl is asking of you, where r u?" I typed quickly and within 5 minutes he texts back a quick "Something came up. I'm sorry but u can come over if you don't have a class?"

I assume he's still at home and that would mean skipping school.
I contemplate whether or not I should be truant. None of my upcoming classes was as important to me as Parker at this moment. I've already done my photography coursework for the day and I could care less for English literature and whatnot; the chemistry between me and Parker was more essential.

It's so simple to skip class in the Beaumont Hill Sixth Form. They trust the students too much and because we get good grades, either way, they don't care. I tell the school nurse that I've got really bad cramps and she gives me a release note to leave school and 'rest at home'.

I try and text him "OMW" which autocorrects to "On my way!"
So, great, now I look over-eager. Although I'm sure Parker doesn't see it that way.
He's not like that. He's not like that at all.

Thirty minutes later, I've arrived outside of his home. I leave my bike at his front gate and before I could even lock it, I feel his warm arms around my neck.

"You came," He hugs me tight and I can feel his bony chest pressed against my back. "Thanks, HB, I really appreciate it." He removes his arms from around my shoulder and stops hugging me.
The note of familiarity in his voice when he calls me by his little nickname fills me with joy, we were friends now. Real-life friends. A huge smile starts to spread on his face as I take in the sight of what he's wearing.

I kick the grass between us, biting back the sudden eruption of giggles that I can feel coming on.

"Just let it out!" he shrugs dramatically and I can't hold it in any longer. I'm giggling so much that he has to hold on to my arms to stop me from falling face-first into the ground. This is totally not what I was expecting.

"What on earth are you wearing, Parker?" The giggles envelop my entire body. This boy had on a large spider-man onesie that he had clearly outgrown. The way it clung to his lean calves instead of his ankles and the sleeves were nowhere near his wrists sent my head into spirals. "You look ridiculous, oh my!"