Ch. 2

The last bell of the day rings, making all of us students light up with joy. Everyone scurries out of the classrooms and immediately the halls become filled with students. I walk down the stairs, because my last class is upstairs, and see Mrs. Moore's classroom come into sight. I still feel bad about running off the way I did at lunch. I don't want her to think badly of me, or think I was purposely being rude.

Being the paranoid person that I am, I walk towards her classroom. I want to quickly apologize then get home. Being here longer than I have to be is torture. As I get close to her room I see her sitting at her desk, while typing something on the computer. I knock on the door, breaking her attention from the computer and bringing it to me.

"Oh, hi Lexi. Come on in" she gets up from her desk, signaling that I can come into the classroom. I walk in and we meet half way in the middle of the room. "Hey Mrs. Moore, I just wanted to apologize for running off the way I did at lunch. I don't want you to think I was being rude, you just brought up a topic that I'm very sensitive to and I didn't want to break down in front of you" I explain, trying to avoid making eye contact with her.

"That's okay" She replies with a soft smile and continues, "I'll admit I was a little confused when you left" she lets out a little laugh, just like she did earlier in class today. "Sorry" I laugh but become more serious "you just mentioned my parents and well....they're dead and that's why I moved here over summer." Mrs. Moore's face becomes very serious with a hint of sadness deep in her expression. "I'm so sorry Lexi, I-I had no idea" she says, sounding genuinely sorry.

"I know, and that's why I wanted to apologize to you, so you didn't think I was being rude." "I lost my parents at a young age too, so I know how it feels" she leaned back on one of the desks in the front row. I hope she isn't getting too comfortable and thinking I'm gonna stay here and talk with her for forever. I hardly know her, so I'm not up to tell her my life story. All I wanted to do was come apologize to her and she's acting like she wants to have a full on conversation. I'm ready to get home lady!

"I'm sorry. It is hard not getting to see your parents anymore, but like I said this is a sensitive topic for me to talk about, so I'd rather not talk about it. Anyways, my grandparents are waiting for me to get home, and hear about the big first day. But I'll see you tomorrow Mrs. Moore, bye" I slowly walk out her room, forcefully ending the conversation between us.

Mrs. Moore's POV

I knew I hadn't recognized Lexi when I saw her this morning at the beginning of school. Obviously I don't know every student at the school, but I know or can at least recognize a good bit of faces around here. She looked like a lost puppy trying to find its way back home, when she was looking for her first period classroom. So I just knew I should have helped her find her class.

When I got to my second period class I saw her sitting in the second row, and was interested in what she was going to say she did over the summer. She didn't seem very happy about being at school, so when I saw her sitting alone at lunch I thought I'd say hi and try to talk to her until lunch was over. She ran off, leaving me very confused but I think it was nice of her to come and apologize before going home.

Lexi seems like a sweet girl, but I have a feeling she's very shy or at least keeps to herself most of the time. Just in my class alone, I didn't even notice her trying to talk to any new people, but then again high school students, especially seniors, are not very welcoming to new faces.

Lexi's POV

"I'm home" I shout into the house, trying to figure out if my grandparents are still at work or not. My grandmother works at the front desk in a doctors office, and my grandfather works in- well I don't actually know what he does. All I know is that he goes around to several different offices a day and does something at each office. He doesn't really have any set hours he works, so there's no telling when he will get home. Sometimes it's fairly early and sometimes it's late. All I know is that I'm not ready to answer the crazy amount of questions my grandparents will throw at me about the first day of school.