CHAPTER 5 - Confessing Again ...

On the way back home, Sanem kept quiet. Emel glanced at her several times, hoping that she would open up to her, but Sanem kept quiet. The old lady decided to respect her silence and started to talk about Metin.

"Sweetheart, Metin was so sorry to hear you had been unwell ... He sends you all his best ..." she informed her.

Sanem didn't answer and just smiled. She was tired and she just wanted to lay her head on the pillow of her bed. She just wanted to awaken from the nightmare that was her life at the moment. She just wanted peace.

"So ... What did the doctor tell you then? What happened?" Emel carried on, ignoring her passenger's muteness.

"He said that I really had to eat more ... and he prescribed some vitamins as well ..." said Sanem. "Grandma Emel, I'm so sorry ... I didn't want to be a burden for you ... I can leave if you ...." but she wasn't allowed to complete her sentence.

"Stop the drama Sanem! You know very well that I don't want you to go!"

Fifteen minutes later, after a relatively quiet drive, they were home. Emel insisted that Sanem sat on the settee while she was fixing up some soup and bread for their dinner. She came back with the plates and they started watching TV. The old lady was a fan of romance and they drank the soup while watching "Kiralik Aşk" ... Sanem was unmoved by the troubled relationship of the two main characters. As Defne and Ömer were kissing on the screen, Emel's voice surprised her. Chatting was usually forbidden in these moments ...

"Sanem? Can I ask you a question honey?"

"Hummm."

"Who is Can?"

Sanem almost choked on the soup in her mouth, coughing for a few seconds. She glanced at Emel who stared at her with an innocent look on her face. Sanem cleaned her mouth and drank some water. It proved difficult for her to catch her breath.

"Are you okay, girl?" kept repeating Emel as she was tapping Sanem's back.

"Whaaat? Can? Can? Can who? But ... I don't understand ..." mumbled Sanem.

"When you were unconscious, you kept repeating that name ... Who is he?" insisted the old lady.

"Hum ... He ... He is ... Hum ... He is my boss ... Can, that is MISTER Can is my boss ..." she explained.

"Your boss? So you mean Can Divit?"

"Yes. That's him. Can Divit", repeated Sanem.

"I've already met him ... He was one of Metin's best friends at school, did you know that?"

Sanem nodded and the old lady carried on.

"I've seen him on TV recently .... He's quite a hunk, is he not ...Hey? What do you say?"

Emel's comment caused Sanem to choke for the second time ... She could feel her cheeks getting quite flushed ... What the ...? How could an adorable sweet old lady come up with such inappropriate comments ... Her inner voice was boiling inside.

Metin's grandmother laughed at her confused face and concluded, "then you think so too."

Sanem kept quiet, looking at her feet, not knowing what to say.

"Don't be so embarrassed Sanem ... I might be sixty-eight years old but I can still recognize a handsome man when I see one ..." and she winked at her.

For the first time in weeks, Sanem laughed whole-heartedly. And Emel imitated her.

"Actually ... you're right ... he is very handsome ... what did you call him?" asked Sanem.