CHAPTER 6 - Finding My Way Back In The Dark Again ...

"Sanem?" said a voice behind her.

It was a familiar voice. One she thought she would never hear ever again. She froze. Unable to move. Unable to speak. Unable to think coherently. Oh my! What was she going to do now?! Don't panic!

"Brilliant plan, Sanem! Now what?" screeched the inner voice.

Sanem zipped up her coat but still, she could not move.

"Sanem?" repeated the voice. "Oh! Sanem ..." The person behind her couldn't hold back her emotions any longer, sobbing heavily now. Sanem was still as immobile as a statue. Two cherished arms hugged her from behind, crushing her so much that Sanem had trouble breathing.

"You are choking me right now ..."

"Sorry ... Sorry .. Oh sis, I missed you so much!" wept Leyla as she was coming round the bench to face her.

She got on her knees and held her in her arms for a long moment. Sanem was restraining her tears.

Leyla moved away to look at her little sister, smiled as she was stroking her face and came to sit next to her, her arm across Sanem's shoulders.

"How did you find me Leyla?" inquired Sanem, worried that Can might have followed her.

"Metin." Leyla paused.

"Actually ... He didn't really tell me ... He had no choice ... You know how persuasive I can be ..." she continued, giggling at her own cunningness.

"I told him that I would ask Emre to fire Anela if he didn't cooperate and spill the beans!"

"You did not!" hissed Sanem. Poor Metin! He was in trouble now because of her. She would have to call him in the morning and apologize for everything.

"Sanem, I'm sorry but I was desperate. Metin understood. He knows how much we worried and cried after you left. He knows. Believe me, he didn't want to break his word to you but ... I won!"

"Humph", replied Sanem. Questions were burning her lips, questions about her parents, her friends ... Questions about Can ... She said nothing though, as the voice within kept on screaming at Sanem's failure to disappear ...

"Sanem, my dear Sanem ... Will you tell me what happened? I know it's related to Can ... What happened?" cajoled Leyla.

"First you have to promise me to keep it secret. To keep everything secret. I mean it, Leyla ... Do not betray me! Can must never know where I am ... Do you understand? Do you promise?" pressed Sanem.

"What about Mom and Dad? What about Ayhan and Osman? Why can't they know?"

"Leyla! Swear to me! Nobody is to know! Absolutely no one! Promise me or you'll never see me again ..." barked Sanem.

Leyla looked cautiously at her baby sister. She had never seen her in such a state of sheer panic and terror. Never taking her eyes off of Sanem's, she nodded and simply said, "I promise".

"I will never come back. As long as he lives and breathes in Istanbul, I will never come back." Tears were starting to flow on their own accord. "I can't ... It's ... I can't", stuttered Sanem.

"Shhhhh, it's ok honey ... Shhhh ... Calm down ... I'm here now," whispered Leyla as she was gently brushing her sister's hair. They did not move for a long time. Neither of them spoke. Enjoying each other's presence was enough ... for the moment. However Sanem knew that Leyla would demand an explanation and she would have to give a convincing one.

"Leyla, listen ... After I gave Fabri my perfume and the formula, I should have told Can straight away. But I didn't. I should have listened to Cey Cey."