CHAPTER 9 - Part Of A Family Again ...

Can was praying that neither Sanem nor Alba would be heard ... or worse that Sanem would come down with the baby in her arms ...

"Can, my son! How are you?" started Nihat.

"I'm fine ... hum ..." muttered Can, "I was actually heading to the agency ... Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Mevkıbe and I wanted to talk about Emre and Leyla's wedding preparations ..."

"Ah! Of course! Of course!" cut Can, "Well why don't we all go to the office and talk about it there with the groom and bride to be, hum? I'm sure they will love to have a word on that topic ..." pressed Can, with a feint enthusiasm.

Mevkıbe and Nihat agreed with a nod and Can quickly led them to his car. They were driving off the driveway when Sanem entered the living-room.

Can was on the verge of a panic attack, even though he forced himself to smile and chat with Sanem's parents. That unexpected visit had been a close call ... a bit too close to his liking ... After a long ride due to Istanbul's customary morning traffic, he parked the car and they headed straight for the top floor.

Emre and Leyla were working on the finances for a new campaign when they spotted Can who was leading the Aydıns into his office. At the sight of Can at the agency for the first time in the last month or so, they exchanged a look of surprise and dropped the files in their hands.

"Mom? Dad? Mr Can?" exclaimed Leyla, "Welcome! Emre and I didn't expect to see you today? Were we supposed to meet? Did I miss something out, Emre?"

"No, no, not at all daughter", intervened Nihat, "We went to visit Mr Can this morning to talk about your wedding ... He thought it best to keep you two in the loop ... I mean ... In the end it is YOUR wedding."

"Exactly" insisted Can, "and it's just «Can» ... if you don't mind ... Soon we are all going to be part of the same family!" he concluded with an emphatic laugh. "We are already family .... If only they knew ..." Can's throat dried at the shameful idea that he was doing the thing he hated the most in the world: lying. And even worse, lying to some of the best and most decent people he had ever come to know.

The five of them exchanged ideas and opinions animatedly for two hours, talking about flower arrangements, dress, suit, menu ... Finally, Leyla found the courage to bring up the topic of the maid of honour. She looked particularly moved, as Can knew that the only person she wanted to see in that role was Sanem. Leyla kept her emotions under control and suggested Ayhan, the closest she had to a sister nowadays.

Can was clutching his fists at Sanem's stubbornness. These people were her family. They loved her. "How could she think that they would reject her?" he asked himself.

Once the topic closed, Mevkıbe hugged Leyla, whispering in her ear, "Be brave Honey!" and Nihat gently stroked her arm. They shook the brothers' hands and took their leave.

"Can, we are going out for lunch, do you want to come with us?" offered Emre.

"Humm? No, no, no. Thanks. Enjoy. I'll see you later", he replied. Can had made a decision. He was on a mission. Sanem would attend Leyla's wedding whether she was willing or not!

* * *

Spring was back in Istanbul. April was really a blessing as the cold weather had completely vanished and the warmth of the afternoon allowed people to fully enjoy the outdoors again. Can had the big terrace already cleaned for Sanem and Alba. Now they would be able to experience the sunshine and the fresh air at any given moment.

The last six months had been hard for Can. He was definitely not an inside person and he missed the feel of the wind on his face. Fortunately he had wonderful views to contemplate. Sanem was blooming as a mother, looking even more lovely than before. Alba was growing up so fast and he was actually happy to be able to spend that much time with his daughter. Now she was fully interactive, laughing and she had just started to crawl on the living-room floor, getting her father in a state of permanent stress. Sanem tried to tell him to relax a bit but in vain. Every day she would witness the spectacle of a large bearded man constantly following a 7-month old baby, who understood perfectly well how to get what she wanted from him. It was so funny.