CHAPTER 13 - No More "Agains", Just "Forevers"

On the day following Metin's wedding, Can had the surprise to find a table for two ready on the terrace. Some flowers, a few candles, a bottle of wine, everything was set for a romantic dinner. Sanem had organized a little vacation for Alba at her parents' and Hüma had gone out with Emel. At last it was just the two of them.

"Okay .... What are we celebrating exactly?" began Can suspiciously.

"Sit down. Make yourself comfortable", intimated Sanem, arranging several plates of tantalizing dishes in front of him.

"Did you prepare these?" asked Can, a little worried and acquainted with Sanem's poor cooking skills.

"No ... Don't worry", she said with a laugh, "My Mom did ..." She sat down and for a long time, she locked her eyes right into Can's intense gaze.

"Can?" she began ... "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can, my Love ... What is it?" he answered, reaching for her hand.

"Will you tell me what happened before you found me ... I mean, you never spoke of that time and I was wondering that maybe you would like to share some of your feelings with me ... " pointed out Sanem.

Can was at a loss. He was definitely not expecting that kind of question ... Moreover he didn't really want to go back to that dark era of his life. He was a living dead the whole time Sanem had disappeared. He didn't want to hide the truth to her either but he felt that it was important for her to know. So, reluctantly, he told her how it had been hell on earth for him, without a purpose, without a reason to stay alive. She had given meaning to his very being. And so had Alba's birth. He tried to keep his words measured and as neutral as possible, not to upset her too much. Nevertheless Sanem sensed that Can was sparing her and he would never fully admit the pain he had endured for eight long months ... It made her even more resolute to bring her plan into action.

"I'm so sorry Can ... Really ... It took me a long time to understand and accept the fact that your feelings for me match in every way my feelings for you ... That you are my soul mate and that we belong together, whatever people may think or say ..." she admitted, never lowering her gaze from his face.

"Can, since I met you, I feel like such a better person, but I'm still myself, more than ever ... I used to be very afraid but now I feel braver than ever! I used to feel like a dull grain of dust but with you, I feel like a star, shining in the night sky, brighter than ever! After I met you, I bloomed like a flower and so did my ideas, my writing, my creativity... Can ... and until the end of my life, I do not want my eyes to part from your eyes, and my breath from yours ..." concluded Sanem, her heart beating like a thousand drums.

Can was silent. He was just smiling, hearing the confession of her love for him and what he meant for her. He was left speechless. Sanem was the only one to hold that power over him. There was no need to talk, she could read in his eyes that he felt exactly the same way. The two springs that were flowing side by side for such a long time had finally merged into a harmonious river. That day had finally come.

Sanem took a deep breath and closed her eyes, collecting her courage.

"Can Divit, will you spend the rest of your life with me?" she asked in a firm voice. There was no hint of a doubt. She knew what she wanted.

His face must have shown some disappointment because she laughed at his expression. In a swift move, her left hand reached his face and the other one the pocket of his jeans to retrieve the velvet box she knew he had on him at all times. She held it for a while and eventually opened it. Can appeared not to be breathing. What was she doing for God's sake?

She took the moonstone ring between two fingers and asked solemnly "Can Divit, will you marry me?"

A minute passed. Then two. Sanem was getting worried with Can's lack of reaction. Was it too bold for a woman to ask a man to marry her? Did she misread the signs? What was happening? For once the inner voice was silent, as expectant as Sanem was. Suddenly, without a word, Can stood up and therefore so did she. A second later, he let his joy explode, grabbing her by the waist, lifting her and twirling together until they felt giddy!