Of course I remembered

By Saturday morning Cyrus had left his room, by Saturday night TJ led him outside. Cyrus should have been incredibly embarrassed of having TJ see him hit rock bottom, but he wasn't. He never felt TJ judge him. They had spent the weekend watching TJ's favorite old romantic French films and sitting in Cyrus' backyard talking about nothing and everything. Even when Cyrus got hit with waves of sadness and tears, TJ was there to get him through it. Even when TJ had read him cheesy Pinterest poems, Cyrus smiled. TJ never tried to fix him and he didn't have to stay, but he did. The two of them had even attempted to make muffins. They were soggy and burnt, but Cyrus was proud of them. They had made something together. TJ had even let Cyrus see him without contacts in. Cyrus almost collapsed by the sight of TJ in glasses and fluffy hair.

Sunday afternoon, Cyrus thought he'd try his luck while sitting in his yard. They had just finished playing fetch with Nala, "Are you going to the winter dance with someone?" he asked.

Tj looked bright, the sun reflected on his glasses, "No" he smiled.

"Are you going at all?"

"I have to, Amber's planning it remember?" He laughed, Cyrus loved that laugh. "If I don't go she'll literally kill me, she knows where I live."

Cyrus chucked, "I want to go too."

"Not with a girl I assume," Tj teased. Cyrus rolled his eyes lovingly.

"Obviously not," Cyrus said.

"I'll tell you something, If you go I'll go with you Underdog" TJ squinted and held out his pinky, "Pinky promise."

Cyrus gave him his pinky, "Pinky Promise" they shook on it. Cyrus didn't know where it came from, but when TJ went back to lounging in the sun, he asked him "Have you ever had a girlfriend?" TJ suddenly became very still, Cyrus thought he might have gone too far. They never talked much about relationships.

"No," TJ said flatly.

Cyrus thought he'd poke again, "Would you like to?" They were sitting in the grass across from one another, Tj had his knees up to his chest, Cyrus sat crisscrossed with a blanket around his shoulders and Nala's head in his lap.

"No," TJ cast his eyes down and picked at the grass, his dirty blond hair fell into his eyes. Just say you like me, Tyler James.

TJ was always honest with Cyrus- this Cyrus knew, but he also never elaborated when conversations got personal. When Cyrus asked him about why he didn't like talking about himself, he said that it was because he didn't think his life was that important.

The TJ Cyrus saw in front of him wasn't tough, or mean, or conflicted, or anything else everyone thought he was. This TJ was considerate and soft-spoken, this Tj knew how to get Cyrus to smile, this Tj had dropped everything to stay with him, this TJ was Cyrus' favorite. The one in the sun, the one without gel in his hair. This version was the most important to Cyrus. Cyrus pet Nala's ear, her tail swished, "How about a boyfriend?" Cyrus said softly.

TJ stopped picking the grass, "No" he said. Cyrus' heart picked up speed.

"Would you like one?" Cyrus asked cautiously, making sure to not make any sudden movements, he knew TJ usually avoided personal questions if Cyrus wasn't careful enough. He didn't know where this bravery was coming from, maybe it came from knowing something he wasn't supposed to? Maybe because Cyrus was beginning to notice this crush his friends had tried to convince him of? He grinned a little.

"Maybe," TJ said, barely moving his mouth. Cyrus thought he saw TJ blush.

Maybe was all Cyrus really needed. Maybe TJ had become a better person, maybe Cyrus did have a crush on him?