If You're There

//tw:suicide mention//

"I'm freaking out you guys!" Cyrus had to sit down for a moment, "Navy blue or midnight blue?" He held up two bow ties, Andi and Buffy looked at each other annoyed.

"Whichever Cy, I really don't think TJ Kippen is going to care," Buffy said as she added some last minute setting spray on her and Andi. The dance was in a few hours and Cyrus was very close to throwing up. He hadn't coordinated with TJ, Why didn't I coordinate? What has happened to me?

"Won't notice?! Won't NOTICE?! Everyone will know if we're not matching Buffy! This is the most important thing that has ever happened to me in my life, I will not mess this up." Cyrus had texted TJ earlier that day to ask what color tie he was wearing, but TJ had only said blue. Cyrus was now faced with the overwhelming assortment of blue bowties he owned.

"Cyrus, we need you to calm down. Why don't you text him again?" Andi came over and plucked a stray eyebrow hair, Cyrus winced.

"I would," he said as he rubbed his eyebrow, "but I don't want to be annoying. We've only been together for a week and I don't want to scare him off already."

"Really? You think that will scare him off? That boy has been on you for years Cy, he's not going away anytime soon," Buffy smiled and texted someone. Cyrus smiled to himself.

The friends had decided to meet at The Spoon before the dance. Andi, Buffy, and Cyrus sat in a booth away from the door. They ordered baby taters before the others got there, he picked one up, but was too nervous for tater theater.

"So, are we going to Angel's after party or what?" Buffy said as she looked at herself in her compact mirror.

"Buffy? Since when are you a party animal?" Andi laughed.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun. Plus we've learned our lesson from last time," Buffy gave Cyrus a knowing look. Cyrus fiddled with a napkin.

"And what's that?" Cyrus looked up at his friends, Andi had made their own silk dress and Buffy wore her favorite over the shoulder dress in blush.

"Not to leave you alone," Buffy laughed with Andi, Cyrus felt lightheaded. He had really really really tried to forget about Iris' party.

Cyrus heard the doorbell chime just as Andi brightened and said, "Here they are." Cyrus turned and thought he had accidentally stared into the sun. Right behind Marty and Amber was TJ who wore a well fitted black tux with blue accents. Cyrus blinked and blinked again until TJ was in front of him. He heard someone say his name very far away, he blinked again.

"-rus. Cyrus?" Tj sat next to him. Cyrus could hear again.

"Hi," Cyrus said bashfully, he was flushed.

Tj smiled and looked him up and down, Cyrus' stomach felt like a hurricane, "Midnight blue," he lightly tugged and Cyrus' bowtie, "Nice choice."

The dance was as Marty put it, 'Not the best but, nonetheless doable.' Jefferson didn't have enough money to rent a DJ, so Dr. Metcalf was set to entertain more than 300 kids in a dark gym. It smelled like musk, the lemonade tasted faintly of Windex, and the floor was already sticky. But, Cyrus was with TJ, and that's all that mattered to him.

The friends didn't care about the horrible music or the sweaty teenagers, they danced and laughed and ate storebought cheese with each other. Cyrus thought death was near after Metcalf played 'The Macarena' for the fourth time. Cyrus leaned on Tj, Tj knew it was a cry for help. Tj grabbed him by the hand and dragged him to the table Amber had set aside for all of them.

"If Metcalf plays that song one more time, I swear to God," Tj said as he pulled out a seat for Cyrus. Cyrus gave an airy laugh and laid his head on the table. TJ gave him time to catch his breath, when he looked up Tj had already gotten him a glass of lemonade.