vii

chapter seven: rewritten

As the goblet opened in front of us, gleaming and glowing with its glorious flames, I saw a gleaming form in Cedric's eyes. A glisten of hope, desire and glory merged into one. I despised this eagerness, as it might be what led him to his death, yet at the same time couldn't help but admire his reasoning and motivations.

The gossip that filled the school for the next few days was who was entering, which I was thankful for as it died down the news that Cedric and I were together. Yet, Cedric still remained hot on the whispers and gossips of the school, as he was one of the main bets for being chosen. He hadn't yet put his name in the goblet though, and I hoped that doubt that fogged his mind from that summer night.

Alfie hordes approached me in the Hufflepuff Common Room when Cedric wasn't around, his bright blue eyes beckoning me to sit down with him.

"Elise, you need to tell your boyfriend to get out of his head and enter his name in that god damn goblet!" Alfie exclaimed, assuming I would be all up for the bragging rights of my boyfriend being a champion.

I chuckled, "why would I literally try and persuade him to enter a competition that's killed people?" which I said like it was the most obvious thing ever.

Alfie stumbled, "'Cos, um, y'know, it's a cool competition."

"Maybe so, but I don't have a death wish for him." I breathed, shaking my head before getting up from my seat. Alfie got up too, reaching and grabbing my arm, turning me back around.

"Come on Ellie, you gotta get him to do it, for Hufflepuff." Alfie insisted, pleading to me with those big blue eyes of his.

But I kept my word, "Alfie, if you want him to do it go bad, go speak to him."

"But he doesn't listen to me!" Alfie called as I walked away, "Only you!" and a part of me smiled at how Alfie said that, did Diggory really like me that much?

Cedric was nowhere to be found at lunch, so I was forced to sit with Harriet and Macie. Harriet grinned at me, leaning over and questioning, "So El, how's the lover boy?"

I chuckled, "He's wonderful. Just stressed about whether or not to enter the tournament." I had spoken to Cedric after my encounter with Alfie in our defence against dark arts, where he briefly explained his feelings and motives towards the whole thing.

"He really should," Harriet claimed, "it would be great to have some Hufflepuff awareness, eh Macie?"

Macie looked up from picking her nails, shrugging and mumbling, "I guess."

Harriet rolled her eyes, you could tell she was growing sick of Macie's attitude. Yet, her loyalty as a Hufflepuff was too strong to give her up. She looked back over at me, "What 'ya got next?"

"Potions, double period." I sighed. It was my least favourite lesson out of all, but potions, defence against the dark arts and charms seemed to be an excellent combination to going into any region of magic I chose, as it covered a wide range of things. "You?"

"Ancient Runes!" Harriet squealed, and I gave her the notorious look of confusion I gave whenever she brought that up. How anybody likes Ancient Runes, I don't know. But Harriet is an Ancient Runes fanatic, and that is beyond any justification for me.

"Oh lord, Harri." Macie sighed, which was enough to get Harriet to go lighter on explaining what they were doing at the moment and why it was supposedly meant to be incredibly exciting and fascinating.

Almost as to save me, strong muscular arms hugged me from above, as a soft kiss was placed on my forehead. "Hiya baby," Cedric whispered as he sat down next to me, his arm remaining draped over my shoulder. I responded back, almost acting as I played lovey-dovey with him, but also because I enjoyed it.