xi

It had been nearly two weeks since I had last spoken to Harriet, and I was definitely trying to go out of my way to avoid her. Seeing her was a reminder of the heartbreak, a mistake I might have made to lose a friend.

On the upper side of things, I had been spending a lot more time with Cedric, and consequently was growing closer to his friends. I had already spoken to Alfie a bit, though I was introduced to them all slowly. Roger, Joshua, Anthony and Miles. Roger Davies was the captain of the Ravenclaw quidditch team and wore a head of mid-length raven curls. He wasn't quite, but more a guy of few words. But when he did speak, he was intelligent and witty.

Joshua Rogan was the closest Hufflepuff might have ever got to a Weasley. His thick head of ginger hair might have got him mistaken for one if it wasn't for his athletic figure and deep brown eyes that differed him apart. He was Hufflepuff by heart and might have been one of the kindest guys I have ever met.

Anthony Peterson was probably sorted into Gryffindor house due to his devoted love of lions as a younger student, and therefore his insistence to the sorting hat that he would be in the 'lion house'. The muggle-born student was quirky and might have found himself in Ravenclaw if-else, though he was genuine and honest, and Elise warmed to him quickly.

Finally, there was Miles McLaggen. McLaggen was a broad-shouldered, hefty bloke who had become known as a bit of a player over his years at Hogwarts. This made me naturally assume that he was an arrogant, self-righteous kind of person only to be proven entirely wrong. Miles might have been the most humble guy I had known but also incredibly naive. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that he was not a player, though he simply had a terrible taste in women.

I had been hanging out with Alfie and Miles when we were summoned to the great hall. We got there to find the upper years of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, with girls and boys being separated on the two sides of the room. I awkwardly sit on the edge, hoping it won't last long. I make eye contact with Cedric as he arrives with Alfie and sits with the others, who smiles warmly at me.

Professor Sprout loudly coughs, grabbing the attention of a chattering room. She welcomes us all, before proceeding to ask a question. "So, had anybody ever heard of the yule ball?"

Despite Sprout's enthusiastic question, there is nothing but the sound of crickets throughout the room, until a fourth-year nervously raises her hand. "The Yule Ball is a dance held in honour of the Tri-Wizard tournament."

"Yes!" Sprout exclaims, "Very right, Susan, ten points to Hufflepuff! The Yule Ball is a dance held in honour of the Tri-Wizard tournament." The word dance causes mumbles throughout the crowd - dresses? Dates? The excitement lingers. "The ball will be held on Christmas Eve this year, so I'd be surprised if any of you are travelling home. Now, to prepare for the ball we will be taking part in some dance lessons today." The room fills with some moans, some groans, and some excited whispers. "Now, will our champion come and join me for the first dance!"

From across the room, I spot the boys laughing as they all push Cedric forward, I exchanged a chuckle with him two, as he walks into the centre of the room. As Cedric begins to dance with professor Sprout, there is a burst of friendly laughter throughout the room, Cedric often glancing over my way and rolling his eyes.

The next thing we know we are all instructed to join, and since Sprout is still with Cedric, looking terribly short next to him, I quickly find Alfie and begin to dance.

"So, how do you feel that Cedric has ditched you for Sprout?" Alfie jokes, and I purposely step on his toe in response.

"You're unbelievable." I laugh, especially as Alfie is now even clumsier to his feet. We dance for a bit more until suddenly I'm being pulled away and into a dance by Cedric.