3 | SNEAK

LAURA

I was all too familiar with how I should be approaching this so-called fragile situation. It was honest, hit-the-nail-on-the-head direct. Or as my health insurer had put it, kiss and makeup. Of course, it was filthy to refer to that between Eddie and I, since such a concept never existed. Whatever oddities that attempted to strike us, we used the palimpsest custom. 

Where we would sit down, level it out like normal adults. There were physical boundaries that could be trespassed and tequila was a no-go so in the end, it was a win-win.

When I reached for the keys in my coat, I spotted the door open in the periphery before I could even holler. Eddie stood between the door and the frame with a face which I could describe as deer in the headlights. His forehead was lined with stress wrinkles and lips tucked into his teeth. 

I forced a smile on my face, however eager I was to know what the hell he was hiding from me. 'Hi.'

'Hey! What - what're you - where'd you go?'

This was when I confirmed that Eddie was definitely withholding from me. His hands were a jittery mess through his hair and his feet not touching the ground. He looked behind his shoulder when I answered after a moment.

I cocked a brow. 'I just stepped out. For fresh air,' I drawled and breathed out loud when I got to the point. 'Thinking about us.'

Eddie sighed in defeat and closed the door behind him. Before I could peep in through the cracks to see what was behind the door, Eddie's arm had corded around mine to pull me towards the hallway. 

Leaving it be, I approached the more important situation at hand. Shrugging his tight grasp off my shoulder, I placed both my hands flat over his chest. He cast it a weird glance and then at me. And at that moment, I could almost hear garbled Venom's thoughts in my ears.