6 | STORY

LAURA

- ♣ -

'I don't know how to say this nicely,' Peter said after setting the most recent issue back on Barnum's desk, 'but you're so screwed, Miss Sharp.'

My young friend was of no help then and now. I hadn't slept in twenty-four hours, ignored my meds and ran on coffee since twelve am last night. Peter and I had trampled past security in the headquarters using my badges and managed to work on the front-cover article all night. Peter had loads of input given he'd read the files, cases, and shreds of evidence and helping me construct the entire column in the most controversial way possible. And to top it all off, I used my boyfriend's name to publish it.

This was necessary, I convinced myself. People had to know that Venom wasn't at fault for the chaos caused at City Hall and we, as the press, had the freedom to speak our thoughts. I'd used this advantage to the fullest, ignoring the consequences and ready to defend Eddie and Venom at any cost.

By the time the company had reopened officially, I'd bitten my nails so much, that it had retreated down to the nail bed and my gaze every second or so, shooting to the closed door of Barnum's office. Pete was sprawled across the short-sized sofa beside the desk, flipping through the crossword puzzle on the last page.