19 | AFTER

LAURA

The tautness in the cabin was unrelenting, my sigh a rather soft deflating as my eyes fell on him - sense and standing and turned away from me. It was as if the tension had been hoisted off my chest and left me with ease instead of despair. My terseness melted into nothing, reeling me onto the door frame and palming my forehead in the confusion of the source weight suddenly dissipating.

I saw his bare back muscles strain with effort as he slipped on the abandoned sweatshirt over the side of the bed. His hair was disheveled from the resting posture and his movements too slow to be lucid. When he turned, his eyes softened with genuine surprise, a smile spreading on his lips.

'Morning, doll. How've you been?'

It took me a second to actually believe that he was right in front of me, hours later from the mire of dysfunction he had pushed me into, larger than life itself. I didn't know what came over me, my legs moving forward on their own accord and doing what neither of us expected.

Don't do it, Laura, don't even - 

A loud thwack resounded through the room, Eddie grabbing the side of his cheek after my upturned palm collided with his cheek. My face was scrunched to a sneer.

Fair enough.

'Ow,' he grunted with his jaw dropped in shock. 'Laur, what the fuck - '

'You,' I seethed and clutched the clutched of the sweater, 'wake up after what seems like days and have the nerve to ask me how I am! I could just - ' I ended up letting out a growl of disbelief and shoving him away. 

'Did you just stomp your foot?' Eddie said, chuckling while adding up to my irritation. 'I thought girls only did that on TV.'

'Don't even, Eddie,' I bared my teeth at him. 'I asked you to stay where you were. None of this would've happened if you had just listened and - and I was so afraid! There was so much blood, you wouldn't open your eyes - '

Eddie placed both his hands over the side of my cheeks to cut into my rambling and lift my eyes to his. His lips were pressed into a thin line, his eyelids held low.

'I'm alive and kicking,' he said. 'And I still love you.'

Don't fall for it, weakling.

'That's a pretext,' I breathed out. 'Poking at my pet peeves is a bad idea.'

'Yet, the undeniable truth.'

And, you fell for it.

I shook my head in hopelessness, dropping it over his shoulder prompting him to laugh lightly and gather me into his arms for a hug. How much ever my favorite dress was in shambles and face was crusted with grime and few bruises from the previous night, he didn't seem to care. Eddie was warm all of a sudden, maybe the similar temperatures causing us to take refuge in each other or his acts. He swayed us on spot, resting his cheek over the top of my head and caressing my body with his gentle breaths.