fourteen

pushed   myself
too   far

your p.o.v

          The water was warm as I got to work gently cleaning the wounds on Azusa's back, the youngest of the Mukami's quietly sitting in the golden bathtub naked as I do so. He doesn't flinch and instead stays perfectly still. It's almost unnerving. Everyone's been so quiet since Kino's attack and the Sakamaki's have yet to show up. It feels as if we're all stuck in limbo while we stay cooped up in this mansion.

          "Let me know if I hurt you." I murmured softly, the once white towel now becoming stained with a deep crimson as I continue gently removing the dried blood from Azusa's back. I doubt he'll say anything if this does hurt. He's always been one to hurt himself so any pain I give him will be a blessing rather than a curse.

          Azusa turned his head slightly. "Eve... You're not, hurt... Right?" He asked, voice barely above a whisper right now.

          "Physically, no." I responded while trying to keep my focus on taking care of his injuries before worrying about myself at all.

          The black haired Mukami frowned as he looked to me from over his shoulder. "Emotionally..?"

          I smiled bitterly at his question. "I'm not alright." I admitted. "I won't be okay until all of this is said and done and I know you're all safe from harm. Then, and only then, will I be alright again."

          "Is there anything, that we, can do to help you..?" He then asked. "Anything I can do, to help you... heal?"

          My smile softened into a fond one as I gently worked the small white towel up to his shoulder blades. "Focus on resting and you yourself healing before you worry about me, Azu. I can wait."

          The injured vampire shook his head some. "Eve, is more important than me." He murmured. "I want, you to be happy... Forever..."

          "I'm happy to see that you and your brothers are alive and recovering," I responded. "We'll take this one night at a time and be happy together."

          Azusa and I fell quiet after I said those words. They don't feel real enough, authentic, like I truly mean it. There's no guarantee that we'll be together with everyone after all of this is said and done. I'm giving out a promise we both know I can't keep.

          Another twenty minutes passed by in silence as I cleaned Azusa's wounds. I got lost in thought the longer we stayed quiet. Wondering if the Sakamaki's are alright, if they need my help, if it's too late. I don't want it to be too late. Not again, not when I can do something to help this time. It can't be too late.

          Watching the Queen with long, snow white hair the tips of which a crimson red as she paced back and forth, the young girl hesitantly reached out a hand to the woman who had been almost like a mother to her over these years she's known her. She had asked if everything was okay, if this would pass like every other thing that seemed to sweep over her kingdom. Though by the apprehension behind the Queen's eyes and the sickly appearance she had recently taken on, the young girl could see that nothing would be the same ever again.

          "You should go find your father ___, it's not safe here anymore." The elegant Queen had said, golden eyes shifting from the young girl back over to the door leading to her shared chamber with her husband, the King. "Or better yet, bring your father to me. I must discuss something with him before it's too late."

          The young girl didn't need to be told twice. She ran out of the room in search of her father, turning down hallway after hallway until she came to his study. There were plenty of other First Bloods running down the hallways as well, looking panicked and frightened and for once not glaring at her like they normally did. They had every right to be scared and no longer preoccupied with making her feel like some abomination.