1: Fighting In The Dark

Gathered within the confined space of the storage closet, Trevor Vex waited for his eldest brother to finish the debriefing. He listened half heartedly, knowing that there wasn't much of a purpose for these meetings. It was more of a guideline, not a set in stone set of rules.

"Number one rule. Don't fucking kill the target, dad wants answers from him, and he wants to be the one asking questions." His eldest brother said, pointing at Trevor in accusation.

Trevor lifted his brows daringly, just to get Damien riled up. Mentally he bleeped out the first sentence of Damien's information; he never agreed to taking hostages, it wasn't his style. It made it easier to avoid that take down if Damien suspected he would kill the target, because he wouldn't assign him to bring him in, in the first place. Trevor found that Reverse psychology worked well, even on someone as conscientious as Damien.

"I got the target. Daniel you get the entrance, Adam you back him up. Braydie, you get second floor, and Trevor you get the back entrance, and for the love of god, don't fucking shoot the target." Damien said, pointing at each of their brothers. They all nodded, Trevor rolled his eyes.

"Go time in 10." He finished, holding up both hands.

Trevor walked out of the storage room, and went over to the desk, he had meant to grab the closed sign for the business's door, but was stopped by a ringing of the desk bell.

He fucking hated that bell.

Standing straight he assessed the person at the counter, it was a female, from the looks of the bags under her eyes, the fading bruise that contrasted with her fair skin tone and the state of her hair, he guessed she was a simple Code GRFX. Girl-running-from-ex.

"I can set up a temporary escort for now, but until you come in for a debriefing we can't assign any permanent security or take any pursuit measures." Trevor informed her, looking into her brown eyes that darted from his own and back to the countertop apprehensively.

Whoever she was running from, he clearly did a number on her. It wasn't the first time Trevor had seen the situation, but it still didn't sit well with him.

She nodded and made brief eye contact, "Okay, how much will it cost?" Her apprehensive expression worsened.

General costs for Vex Securities was pretty reasonable, they didn't feel it was right to put those who might actually need the safety more in a position that restricted their ability to get help. In reality, impoverished cities had a higher crime rate than that of wealthier ones. That's where they made the better money, and was in part why their rates were so affordable.

"Escorts are free. They stay until the set appointment date, which has to be paid ahead of time, if you want the escort now. The personal guard, and pursuit target runs from one to six hundred, depending on your income."

The woman nodded, her apprehension dissipating visibly.

Trevor checked his watch, he had five more minutes before it was closing time, and then it was 'go time' as Damien put it.

"Okay, I can pay the six hundred now, I just need the guard and pursuit as soon as possible."

He could see the urgency in her eyes, as well as the fear, it brought a sickness to his stomach. Abuse always did, ever since he'd found out about his own brothers personal run in with it as a child, he'd vowed to make sure that if he had the ability to end it, he'd do so no matter what and as quickly as possible.

"You can pay now, and we'll put it on file until the appointment, I'll have an escort meet you out front."

Instead of looking relieved, the woman appeared more on edge. "Is the appointment really necessary, I really just need the guard."

"I can't have my team fighting in the dark, we need to know your situation to the last detail, and are you saying you don't want the pursuit?"

Trevor was confused, if their roles were switched, he'd damn sure want the abuser hunted down and brought to justice for what he'd done, except she only wanted the guard.

She avoided his scrutinizing gaze, shifting her weight from one foot to the other, and nervously adjusting her earings, unintentionally revealing a fresh bruise on the side of her arm.

"The guard is all I need." She said lightly.

Things started coming together. "You still live with him." Trevor stated, his hands clenching at the thought of her returning to her abuser.

An escort wouldn't be able to enter her home and provide the protection she desperately needed, all they could do was make sure she moved from one destination to the next safely.

Damien suddenly burst into the room, the door slamming behind him. He always was one for a dramatic entrance, but his action caused the client to near jump out of her socks.

"Go time brother," he announced.

Trevor glared, and turned his attention back to the girl, hoping his brother would get the point.

"I can have preparations made for you to stay somewhere else until you can find something new, or at least until the debriefing appointment."

She clutched her purse, her demeanor changing drastically the longer Damien stayed. He was an imposing figure, his size is what limited him mostly to stock and recon rather than talking with the clients. Trevor wasn't small either, but he was much more lean muscular whereas Damien resembled a hulking body builder, not exactly the picture of comfort for those exposed to harsh violence.

"That's okay, I'll go somewhere. You said the escort will be waiting outside?" She asked, her eyes full of hope and relief, and something else. She began to toy with her earings again.

Deception.

Trevor knew she wasn't going to 'go somewhere', other than back to her tormentor. It was no wonder why just mentioning the escort lightened her spirits.

Trevor turned to Damien, "Have Tommy out front, code GRFX, make sure he stays close." He said the last part quietly enough so the woman wouldn't hear. Damien nodded solemnly and left hastily.

When he turned back around to the counter, the girl was gone, on the surface there was a wad of cash with a number written on one of the bills.

________

One ✔

Please feel free to comment and vote as you wish, and if you're feeling generous..

comment by any errors so I can go back and fix them 😚

P.s: picture above is how I imagined the storage closet.