13: Beside You

"I haven't seen any activity aside from your elderly neighbor. She's sweet, you should stop by," Daniel said.

Trevor wasn't going to be stopping anywhere until he was sure Jane was safe. Even now, he was uncomfortable with how long he'd been gone.

Less than ten minutes had passed since he left, she was safely locked inside, and Daniel had been keeping a lookout since morning—he shouldn't have felt so anxious.

Trevor gave in to his impatience and tapped the inside of his brother's door. "I'm headed back in, keep an eye out, Jane and I are going to sleep."

Daniel quirked a brow. "Are you?"

Trevor rolled his eyes. "Yes, she needs rest and I want to get her out of the house for the day tomorrow. She's probably been cooped up in there since the day she was married."

"All right, I'll keep my hawk eyes on. Goodnight, brother."

With a last wave, he jogged back to the house, sticking to the shadows for the purpose of staying hidden and to make sure no one else was doing the same.

He'd done a last quick lap of the perimeter around her house by the time he unlocked and quietly entered through the back door.

The moment Trevor set foot inside, he gave pause. He was trained to notice every difference and pay attention to minor details—like the subtle scent of cologne in the air, the sound of the bath running upstairs that he knew without a doubt Jane disliked for some reason.

She had even talked about having it removed. On the chance that she had changed her mind, it didn't take the fifteen minutes he was gone to fill it up, and he was sure he had heard the shower turn on before he left.

He pushed a button on his phone to alert his brother as he climbed the stairs. Panic seized him at the light noise of a creak and his responding increased heartbeat. Whoever was here, which Trevor had a strong inkling it was Noah, they may have just been alerted to his presence.

It didn't matter. Chances were, the sick bastard wanted him to be present. Trevor's stomach turned but he kept moving forward stealthily, his Glock leading the way through Jane's bedroom to the bathroom.

He paused for the slightest second in order to hear what was going on inside. All that met his senses was the running water and the occasional sound of it swishing. He wanted to believe that Jane was only taking a bath to calm her nerves.

That wasn't the case.

Trevor opened the door with the tip of his foot, his gun already aimed at Noah who was roughly holding onto a pale, shivering and crying, Jane.

"Lower your toy, little soldier," He mocked.

Trevor didn't listen. As far as he could see, he had the upper hand here and he was going to take a shot as soon as Jane was out of the way. If he needed to, he was prepared to take the kill shot that Noah was making available. The one where his bullet entered between his eyes and ended this once and for all.

Noah jerked his hand that was twisted in Jane's hair roughly and screamed, "Put the gun down!"

Jane flinched at his tone and shifted her scared gaze to Trevor. His entire body shook as he met it, but his aim remained steady. Never again, he vowed then and there, never again would Jane shed a tear or look at him with that fear in her eyes that made his blood run cold.

"Let her go," Trevor ordered. "Let Jane go, or I put a bullet in the center of your skull. "

The crazed bastard chuckled. "You would do that? Even when I have this?" He pulled a knife out of his pocket and dragged the jagged, hooked edge along Jane's collarbone.