8: Moving Forward

For days, hours, minutes, her mind had been filled with dread. The week of peace, as much as she'd tried to attain, was heavenly. Now, Jane wasn't sure how to feel.

Scared? Yes. Anxious? Yes. Wanting to just drop everything and run for the hills? Hell yes.

As she contemplated the idea of just going on the run, common sense held her back in the form of her bodyguard.

Jane looked at him as he rambled on to her, but she wasn't hearing any of his words, she was too stuck in her worries.

She could run. Sneak off into the night, Trevor would be none the wiser... But, Noah would just find her, he had every resource at his disposal. Her best bet at happiness was staying and facing him. Then she could move forward with her life.

Jane bit down on her tongue and glanced around the half-empty basement, and back to the boxes she had been going through.

She was in need of a distraction, and so far rummaging through her old stuff had managed that. Except now, she couldn't brush off how she felt like she desperately wanted to.

A warm caress took hold of her chin, she met Trevors blue eyes.

"You're safe," he said, "we'll find him soon enough. There's no way he's getting near you."

His words were firm, as if he knew that without a doubt. Jane wanted to believe that, but she knew it was much more complicated than that. Noah always got his way. They would be alone at some point, she could feel it in her bones.

Trevors jaw clenched, and then his lips parted as if he wanted to say more. Instead, he got up, turned and left, his heavy feet pounding on the floor and up the stairs.

She was alone again, nothing but her thoughts to keep her company. It wasn't a new occurrence, even when she had someone, she was still alone.

Noah hadn't let her work, hadn't let her out unless it was for something necessary. Nothing was ever necessary. So she started sneaking out. Eventually, he caught her, and she'd given the same excuse she always had, buying something for him. And it had worked.

Jane sighed to break her train of thought. Nothing good would come out of sulking in the past.

She focused her attention on the task at hand—unpacking. All of the things in the house, well the things that were in the house but had since been set on fire, had belonged to Noah. These things were all hers aside from the box of junk she had Trevor throw out. Her ex was finally erased from her home. Physically, anyway.

The box at hand was another covered in dust from its time down there, Jane peeked inside and found old china dishes. Ones that were passed down from her great grandmother.

Jane smiled and lifted out one of the heavy, ornate plates. Once a year, her great grandmother had indulged Janes princess fantasy by letting her hold tea parties with the fine dishes. All the way up until she passed away, and left them to her in hopes that she would...

Jane's breath caught at the memory. She didn't have a daughter. She couldn't continue the tradition.

Placing the dish back gently and moving onto a new one, Jane pushed away anything more that could cause more tears.

The next was some holiday decorations passed down from her family, things she hadn't been able to use in the past but would definitely put to use in the future.

Jane continued going through the small tower I boxes until just one remained. It had no label, no indication as to what was inside it.

Absently she reached in and grabbed the first item on top, it was an empty picture frame. Odd. She set it aside and reached in, her hand coming into contact with another.

Whatever she had expected to find... What stared back at her, who stared back at her in the picture frame, was not it.

A small sob escaped her lips and her panic caused her to drop the photo on the basement ground, shattering it's glass front.

Immediately she bent to pick up the pieces, to remove the photo and... She didn't know what to do with it. The last time she ever saw it was before... And then she'd asked Noah to get rid of them. Of course he hadn't, it was just one more way to hurt her.

Heavy steps thudded down the stairs in quick succession seconds later. Trevor called her name, worry in his voice.

"Jane? Jane!"

She wiped at the wetness beneath her eyes and rushed to hide the picture back in the box. "Im fine!" she called back as the footsteps closed in.

Trevor appeared in the doorway just as she closed up the box again, his face was flushed and his bare chest heaved from exertion.

Jane tore her eyes away and muttered, "I just dropped something. I'm alright."

He approached her, bending down in front of her feet and examining the broken glass. "Did you cut yourself?" he asked.

She met his gaze and struggled to maintain eye contact rather than let her eyes roam over his exposed skin—exposed muscle. She knew he was a bodyguard, but she hadn't expected him to look that good under his clothes. It was distracting.

"No," she shook her head. "Just an accident. You can go back to whatever it is you were..."

She trailed as her thoughts became jumbled. As Trevor stood straight, every strong edge of muscle on his body became more evident. And the V leading to something that would be far more glorious was starting to make her mouth water and her brain turn to mush.

Trevor took a cautious step forward, "Jane?"

She remained stock still, even as he closed the space between them and pulled her against his chest. The heat of his bare flesh seeping through her own shirt.

"Jane?" he whispered again, his voice huskier. He tilted her head back until all she could stare at were his perfect lips.

They closed in fast and fierce. Jane's hands shot out to clutch at his strong arms as he kissed her like she'd never been kissed before. It had her head spinning and her body coming alive for the first time in years.

_________________
AN:
Peep the new (#3) cover...
Phew... It's been a while 😬 (a solid month).

Got a little distracted with some other stories and such things lol. Updates should be more frequent now...
Checkout my other distractions/works if you haven't already though.🖤

There is, The Nerd Diaries: Arnold (about a nerd #steamy lol), Claim ( A Motorcycle Club Romance), Montgomery Coven (A reverse harem/bunch of incubus witch hunks who share one soulmate 😆), and Sole Soul (A Werewolf/Shifter Romance)

Hope to start updating weekly💋