4: Being Patient

The next day at HQ, Trevor was standing behind the reception counter, waiting for a certain GRFX to walk in.

"You look anxious."

His brother, Braydie, pointed out. He was right, Trevor was anxious for the woman to show up, but more so because he wanted to be sure she was still breathing.

"These clients always have me anxious." He said, honesty in his words.

"Mm, perhaps it's time for a break." Braydie said, a knowing look on his face.

Trevor removed his gaze from the front entrance, where it had been stuck all morning, and fixed it on his brother. "When crime takes a break, I will take a break."

Another thing that had been on his mind, filling him with doubt and guilt over his contemplation of leaving the brotherhood. The brotherhood gave him a chance to set things right in the city, and other places that may have been brought down by the involved. Sure he had the opportunity in the security business, but it felt selfish to turn his back on something just for want. Other people needed, and here he was about to turn his back on them for something he didn't know would even come along.

"You and me both." His brother gave a playful punch to the shoulder and then stalked off to the back.

Trevor recommenced his willing of the woman to walk through the front door, but quickly found himself disappointed when- ten minutes later- she still hadnt shown. The clock on the countertop read eight-thirty, probably too early to be hoping anyone would walk through the door.

Just then, Daniel chose his moment to interrupt Trevors brooding. The firmly planted half smirk giving way that he knew something he shouldn't, or was on one of his highs from visiting his neighbor. The two had been fucking for months, but Daniel never made any move to take it further even though it was obvious he cared. Trevor was both envious, and sorry for his brother. He suspected that the code was the only thing holding back Daniel from taking his relationship with the girl next door to the next step.

Daniel pulled a chair from the coffee table that sat in the middle of the room and turned it around, straddling it with the smug look still on his face.

"Have a nice night?" Trevor bit out, hoping to speed up whatever ridicule his brother was going to bring to the table. He however ignored the comment, opting to grin, and become more petulant.

"Word on the street says you have an itch that only a certain.." Daniel waved a hand in the air as if searching for a word, Trevor knew he already had one in mind. " client can scratch. Wonder if that's who you're waiting for, pouting like a lost puppy."

Trevor scowled as his brother made a pouty face, and mockingly feigned rubbing away fake tears. Of all his brothers, Daniel was his least favorite.

"Don't you have better things to do, like that neighbor." Daniels banter ceased, "or has she moved on?"

Daniel narrowed his eyes for a brief second and then the grin returned, "Just thought I'd see who this girl is, the one giving my brother thoughts of abandoning his brothers."

Trevor saw it then. The smidgen of hurt and jealousy a storm in his younger brother's eyes.

"I'm not abandoning you. You're still my brothers, even outside the brotherhood."

Daniels downfall lied in his own eyes, no matter what they portrayed his feelings. Hurt and jealousy remained swirling in their depths even as his brother shot a snarky comeback his way.

"This isn't all there is." Trevor stated, as his brother moved towards the exit.

"It is for me." Daniel stated curtly.

A small ding at his counter rang.

How she managed to enter without him realizing was unnerving, he was supposed to be on guard always. Yet not once, but twice, this female had snuck up on him.

Her appearance had increasingly approved from yesterday's. But that was only what she portrayed, he was sure the flesh beneath her clothes told another story.

"Good morning." He greeted.

The briefest of grimaces crossed her features, he might not have noticed if he weren't so enraptured by her beauty.

"Good morning," she said back.

Trevors jaw clenched as he forced himself not to think about whatever shed gone through so early in the day, whatever it was, it couldn't have been good.

"Are you ready?" He asked her, gathering up a file hed put together for her.

"Yes." She said without hesitation, her words dripping with relief.

Trevor nodded, and then led her to a room where they could discuss everything privately.

"Alright. This is the hard part for most, but it's necessary." He paused a moment, giving her a chance to prepare herself. "I need you to tell me everything, to the last detail." Opening the file, pen in hand, Trevor waited for her to begin her story.

Since the day he stepped foot out of college, graduated and educated in all things law, hed been determined to make change and help people. His father's persistence on him joining the security company was a good way to start, so he joined. It was swift adjustment, because as a child and teen, his father had trained him physically and mentally like he had been as an agent, that and the experience being apart of the brotherhood brought.

He'd heard his fair share of harsh stories of abuse through his years of working for the company, but over all, none of them could have prepared him for the one that she recounted. Her eyes displayed every emotion that she had felt as parts of her past left her lips in words, there was pain, fear, anger, but most of all a deep sadness that dulled the shine in her eyes.

In the end, she was a crying mess, and he wanted to comfort her more than anything. But he'd decided he wouldn't cross that line, where he got sucked in emotionally, especially with a client.

Trevor settled with useless sympathetic words, "I'm sorry you went through that."

"Me too." She whispered, wiping the rolling tears from her face with the back of her hand. Yet again her movement revealed a bruise to him. It's stark appearance led him to believe that it had been inflicted before she'd shown up. It pissed him off greatly to see, but the knowledge that she would without a doubt be getting a body guard today, was enough to console his anger.

Trevor just had to decide who that guard would be.

"What do I have to sign?" She asked after she had gotten herself back together.

"This," he handed her the contract file, "i wrote down your recount for legal purposes, and put together all the necessary paperwork regarding the team you want and the guard."

She nodded, flipping through the pages with nervous hands.

"There's a blank spot?" She said in confusion, pointing out the place where her personal guards name should be, what Trevor should have figured out long before now.

Trevor swallowed back his indignation at the words he was about to say, "Its up to you." Whichever brother she picked, he better do a damn good job of protecting her.

"I put together files on all our guards," he handed it over, reluctantly, "I'll leave you to decide."

Trevor walked out of the room and rested against the door, anxiously waiting for her decision.

__________

😊