9: Behind Enemy Lines

Noah rubbed his reddened wrists where the cuffs had been placed too tight by the one's who'd apprehended him. He was looking out the kitchen window of Mrs. Abernathy's, the sweet, unaware old lady who'd so kindly let him into her home.

A few paces across the street, before his very eyes, his own wife was eating dinner with the one responsible for the invasion of their home. It filled him with rage to see, more so than those days he spent in the grimy confines of a prison cell.

After two weeks of being incarcerated, he managed to get out of prison feigning mental illness, and then pulled strings to get out of the psych ward early.

His dear, stupid wife had another thing coming if she thought she could get away from him so easily. Especially after humiliating him like she did.

Jane was going to die by his hand, but not before he tortured her every way he knew how. Besides, she owed him after the little stunt pulled with their daughter. The accident that was all her fault, that she had caused. A life for a life was the play.

Noah was staring through the window across the street, his old house, or what was. Jane had managed to find the deed while he was gone. Though that wasn't very helpful to him, he couldn't help but smirk knowing she'd more than likely found his other presents as well.

Seeing their deceased daughters face and belongings was only a soft blow compared to what he had planned for Jane.

Truth was, before Jane had caused the accident, they had been a happy family. There was order, he had complete control. And then she ruined it with her selfish little thoughts.

Jane needed his controlling hand to keep her in line, but that had been doing her a courtesy. No more.

Binoculars raised, he watched her and the bodyguard eating dinner. Looking at each other with obvious lust, and talking without care.

Oh, how Noah wanted to murder the son of a bitch who'd stolen his wife. Trevor Vex would pay, and Noah would make sure to torture the two in front of each other. The two hadn't parted since he was taken away, since they seemed to like sticking by each others side torturing them as such only seemed befitting.

He would start with Jane, the first of his problems. He'd make sure she was bloody and broken before he moved on to Trevor Vex.

Noah was going to make sure Trevor received just as bad, if not worse for touching what didn't belong to him, for meddling where he shouldn't. And then, he would leave the mess for the rest of the Vex family to find and grieve over.

Noah smiled through gritted teeth at the thought, their screams and cries would be on replay like a broken melodious record in his head for eternity, and he couldn't wait.

Jane and Trevor signed their death warrants hand in hand the day they made their deal, now it was Noah's job to act as the executioner and punish them for their misdeeds, making damn sure they suffered long and hard for humiliating him like they had.

Noah had enough leverage in the city, just the right people under his thumb. Even families like the Vex's couldn't stand up against his power. But this was mostly about teaching his stupid Jane a lesson. Maybe he would let her live... Only after she paid the price for her mistakes.

Messing with the security family, especially ones with ties to the CIA was dangerous. Noah knew a thing or two about the Vex's through work. Including their late-night activities that he'd tried to use to blackmail them into working for him. Subtly, of course. Though it hadn't worked, their father—leader—acted as if they were the good guys and not rogue men who killed whoever they deemed fit to die.

He could still feel the burn of their rejection of his generous offer. Maybe... He would have use for Trevor Vex after all.

Noah tutted and crossed his arms, refraining from storming into what was his home. Knowing the two were already in his snare though, was enough to calm his seething anger.

He sat back in the living room chair and kicked his feet up, feeling fury burn in his blood as he watched the bodyguard and Jane together just a few feet away.

There were many decisions to be made, and he had time to pull every string together. He would make time if needed.

They wouldn't know what hit them until he finally let them see each others tortured expressions in the cold basement, and he would be there to smile and assure them their nightmares were only just beginning.