Faethfully Yours: Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

"Correct," he said a shade gloomier than before, "Or so we thought."

The eerie sensation that things were heading towards a very undesirable conclusion nudged at me. It felt so much like watching a horror movie where you yell at the protagonist that she's being an idiot and that the monster is right around the corner. Well it was much like that just instead of a monster; it was an answer that lay in wait.  

Swallowing all fear, I turned the corner, "What do you mean you thought? Either she's dead or she isn't...right?"

"Right, just if we follow that logic and she were dead, the veil between our realm and the human world would have collapsed. Obviously hasn't happened as humans still inhabit this world," he said coolly, "We still have to wait for the various solstices and portal openings in order to travel between our worlds. "

"Well then what's the problem? She isn't dead. That's good-"

"Not entirely.  Not when she's missing. After Ivan--" he paused sharply then cleared his throat, "We just aren't sure where she is" he said with a questionable finality.  

"That's not what you were going to say" I blurted. I don't know where the authority came from, but there was a different ending to his sentence and so much rested on it. I didn't care if I had to beat it out of him, "After Ivan what?"

He shifted uncomfortable, tuning the radio on, "It's not important right now--"  

I turned it off," Don't!" I snipped, slamming my fist into my thigh. A swirl of the most vicious anger soared through me but I swallowed deeply. It wasn't connected to my strange abilities. It was simply the basic white hot anger felt by a human who was tired of the secrets, of the neglect and of feeling alone. In blinding frustration, I reached over and turned the steering wheel towards the side of the road. He quickly slammed his foot on the breaks, sending us into a spinning sudden stop.  

"Are you insane?!--"  

"Yes! Apparently so!" I countered, louder than was necessary but loud enough to release all the pain and anger. It wasn't just in reaction to the lack of answers in our little exchange. That was frustrating in its own right. What tipped me was the lack on answers in general. And furthermore it was knowing that what I once held as true, wasn't.  It was the sudden realization that for eighteen years, my life had been a lie.

"I'm insane! I'm crazy! I'm--" the knot in my throat collapsed, sending me to girlish tears. My will to breathe vanished and I struggled for air. Pushing open the door, I ran out into the cold desert. After few steps, I collapsed onto the sandy ground that instantly became muddy with my unwelcome tears.  The shadow man didn't follow, but instead drove the car to the side of the road. Guess he didn't want to have the guilt of another dead person on his conscience. He then came to me, and did what I needed most....sat beside me and didn't say a word.  

I knew the urgency of the situation. We were probably being followed after our little stunt at the hospital....but I needed more answers before I took another step. I refused. I would sit there until something gave, whether it were the answers I needed or being swallowed up by the cold.  I don't know how long I sat there but finally my horrible sobs simmered.

Regaining some of my composure, I sat back and stretched my legs before me like a child. Looking over at Kheelan who sat in a similar fashion, I shook my head.  

"Is this a dream?" I shrugged shyly. He released a sigh that was saturated with sympathy and compassion and remorse and said-- "I'm sorry love....it's all real"  

And there it was, in a nutshell. I looked away quickly, feeling the tears swelling back. Did I really think he would answer any different?  Somewhere, the immature girl in me hoped he would have while the woman I was being forced to become yelled at her to grow up.