Flashbacks of a Fool: Chapter Eighteen

"What in the devils!" Nathaniel crossly tossed down his pen, the incessant ringing of the front door bell wracking his focus. Ink droplets splattered carelessly upon the ledgers he so hopelessly struggled to balance. Christ! Couldn't he just damn the bloody books to hell and cast them into the fire? 

Perhaps--

No! Having had neglected the duties tied to earldom for long enough, there was an obligation to be performed. Already spending the better part of the morning slumped over various letters bringing to his attention a range of issues at his estates; Nathaniel simply didn't have the mind to deal with an insufferable visitant. No. Not after sorting through letters from disgruntled tenants and greedy collectors. Not in his foul mood and not when there were other places he wished to be; namely upstairs, nestling beside his sleeping wife as he had done for the past week. 

Rising sharply from his grand desk, he cursed doubly, irately swiping his waistcoat from the back of the chair. Had he not clearly implied he wished for no company? And at--well, what time was it anyway? Casting a furious glance at the time piece, his anger rose; ten in the morning! Who would be so stupid as to create a scene so early in the morning?! The ruckus of muffled voices and sharp footsteps now heard out in the hall would undoubtedly waken Annabelle and disturb Logan's lessons--dammit!  

Storming towards the door to locate, and in considering the time, severely reproach the source of the intolerable commotion, the voices rose; One clearly being Washington, the butler, enforcing to someone who obviously refused to listen that Nathaniel wished to see no one, under any circumstances. The defiant guest apparently evaded Washington, Nathaniel inwardly admitting that the stout man in no way served as a deterrent to an improper and resolute guest. Determined footsteps stopped in front of the library; Nathaniel tore the door open, harsh words on the ready when--

"Dammit William! You sure run a tight ship, I must say!"

Nathaniel blinked, an underwhelming sigh making way to a defeated chuckle, "I should have known it was you creating such a scene at this hour," he greeted his cousin, a loose embrace quickly following. Having grown up beside the man whose disheveled appearance spoke of late nights at the club, no doubt joining those looking to evade whether it be a spouse or in Richard's case, meddling fathers, Nathaniel was delighted to see him. Of all the acquaintances that came along with Lord Hamilton's identity, Nathaniel was most grateful for Richard however improper he tended to behave. While lacking a great deal of desired social graces, due not to upbringing but for the simple sake of infuriating his father, Nathaniel thought Richard to be an exemplary human being though he was also sure that if not for his fortune and name, Richard would have been long cast from society. 

Washington, who labored through winded breaths, straightened, "Forgive me sir. I informed Master Hamilton that you wished not to be disturbed--" 

"I should have clarified Washington, forgive me." Nathaniel stepped aside, granting Richard entrance to the library. Richard tossed a clearly perturbed Washington his top hat, draping his coat over the man's shoulder then strode into the library. Christ, typical Richard.  

Shaking his head, Nathaniel turned back to Washington, "When I said no interruptions, I meant it more for the pack of wolves no doubt waiting for a proper hour to pounce on my wife with their calls." he clarified, not yet willing to share Annabelle with the sordid society outside of Hamilton Hall. 

He added, "Surely it has been in the papers by now and there will be an alarming amount of calls. I trust you will be able to handle a few desperate women trying to burst through the door, will you not old chap?" Nathaniel grinned with amusement knowing his butler did not appreciate the jibe at his not being able to keep Richard at the door. He always did have much fun tormenting the poor man.