Chapter 13

I sat down in my office staring at nothing. Maybe I should've gone to lunch with Stacy and Stella but then again am just not in the mood for a chitchat. Am so grateful to God I was able to get this job; the pay is good and I have wonderful colleagues. I should be happy, no, I am happy. I am content and grateful, and I won't ruin it by thinking about the past. Its been three months already and I've moved on.

"Hey Bella, want to have lunch with me?" Chris said ducking his head into my office. That guy just can't take a hint that am not interested. I mean he seems nice and all but no! No more office romance for me. Been down that road twice and it won't happen again.

"Hi Chris. No, I still Haven't changed my mind about having lunch with you" I said sternly.

"Well it was worth the try. I'll make you change your mind Bella" he said with a smirk.

"I told you not to call me Bella. Its Anabelle or Ana" I said glaring at him.

"Why? Bella suits you so well" he said smiling

'Because the name reminds me too much of someone am trying so hard to forget'

"Because I don't like it. Besides..." I got cut off by the ringing of my phone. Great, its Abby. We've kept in touch after I left the house, but I haven't heard from her in a while.

"Good to hear from you Abby" I said as soon as I picked the call.

"Hi Ana, sorry for calling you like this but I didn't know who else to call" she said, and I could tell she was crying.

"Calm down Abby, tell me what's going on."

" Joy is in the hospital and Mr Philips travelled and I've not been able to reach him"

"Oh my God, what happened to her?" I said in a panicked voice.

" I don't know for sure. The school called the house and said she had an accident at school and asked me to come to the hospital " she said through tears
"Dear Lord, which hospital?"

" St Paul hospital, the one not too far from her school "

" alright, just stay there. I'll meet you there " I said as I began to gather my stuffs and the call ended.

"Is there something wrong?" Chris asked, and I realized he was still standing there.

"I have to get to the hospital" I said heading out the door.

"Which hospital? I'll take you." He offered.

"Really? Thanks Chris. Let's go. I'll give you the directions" I said, and we head outside to his car. Dear Lord, please let Joy be alright. Protect her and keep her safe, I silently prayed as we made our way to the hospital.
Chris and I made it to the hospital and I hurriedly got off and made my way to the nurse's station and I asked for directions to the Emergency area. As soon as I entered the waiting area of the Emergency room, I spotted Abby. She looked so worn out like she had been crying a lot.

"Oh Abby, its going to be alright" I said hugging her and she just kept crying. After calming her down, I introduced her to Chris and we sat down to talk.

"What exactly happened to Joy?" I said to her once she was calm enough.

"According to the school, she fell while playing and she sustained a head injury. The doctors are still with her and they won't tell me anything yet"

"Oh dear, she'll be alright because she's in God's hands" I said reassuring her.

"I pray she gets well quickly... Chris said as the room fell silent. "I have to get back to the office Ana. I'll tell the Boss what happened so don't worry about it"