Chapter 15

I don't know what I was expecting when I asked him to tell me about his late wife, but it was definitely not this.

"What? That's impossible!!! Abby told me that she died, and you've never said anything in the contrary" I protested

"As far as am concerned she's dead. It's a long story" he sighed.

"Well we have plenty of time so start at the beginning" I said calmly. It looked as if he was having an internal debate whether to tell me or not, his body was tensed, and I could tell what he's about to tell me is very difficult for him but if we are ever going to have any chance of being together, I have to know.

" I met Rose for the first time at a supermarket almost nine years ago. She couldn't pay for the things she bought because she had lost her purse. I helped her out and she gave me her number promising to pay me back and that was how it all started. We started hanging out and I immediately fell for her. She was strong willed and always stood for what she believed in, a lot like you in that aspect" he added with a sad smile

"Wow, no wonder you didn't like me when we first met" I said trying to lighten up the mood.

" yea. You reminded so much of her and I was scared I would fall for you. I guess my instincts were right because no matter how hard I tried, I did fall for you, harder than I thought possible " he said with that same intense gaze that I've become used to. I would've leaped for joy at hearing him say that if we weren't in the middle of a serious discussion.

"Then what happened after you started dating?" I asked trying to stare the conversation back to the main issue.

" well it was a whirlwind romance, we were crazy about each other. Nine months later, we got married and everything was fine for a while. A few months into our marriage, she started keeping late nights and she would spend money on anything and everything. I tried to caution her and she promised to change. Then she became pregnant with the twins and I thought you know, once she becomes a mother everything will settle down" he paused trying to control his emotions.

"Its okay Louis, you don't have to tell me everything tonight" I said placing my hand on his knee.

"No, its fine. I want to tell you everything. Not many people actually know what happened, but I want you to know the truth"

"Alright. So, did things get better between the both of you?"

"Yes, it did, things got better while she was pregnant and even after she gave birth. I was happy and started thinking everything will be okay from then on. But then tragedy struck when one of the twins was diagnosed with a weak heart. I already told you what happened with him" I nodded in understanding and he continued " when we lost him, Rose became wild again. I guess it was her way of dealing with the pain. I couldn't do anything but pray for her, God knows how much I prayed for him to save my marriage, but it only got worse "

"Am so sorry you went through all that" I said in an effort to comfort him.

"She would drop Joy off at the daycare center and forget to pick her, we fought about every little thing, but I was willing to stay with her and make our marriage work. Then one day, the bank alerted me that Rose had made a withdrawal of 20 million naira from our account. I came back home to confront her, but she was gone and all she left was a note" he said with his voice choked with emotions.

"I can't imagine how deep her betrayal hurt you" I said quietly

"I was deeply hurt, and I was also angry at her. She left abandoning our daughter who was only two years old"

"Now I understand why you were so mad at me for referring to your wife the first time we fought" I said with a knowing look

"Yea, you were such a feisty little nanny" and we both laughed, and I was glad to see his body relax.