Chapter 7

"Good morning father in heaven. Thank you for waking me up today. Protect daddy, nanny and miss Abby. Please make daddy play with me and don't let him sack nanny because I really like her. In Jesus name I've prayed Amen."

"Amen" I said smiling.

"Good morning Dad. Did you hear my prayer?" She asked curiously.

"Yes, I did. I came to wake you up, but you were praying. Did Abby teach you how to pray?" I asked

"No. Nanny did. And nanny said it’s wrong to listen to other people's prayers" she said confidently.

" oh, she did! Well I'm sorry. It won't happen again. Am I forgiven?"

"Yes Dad" she nodded happily.

"So, can you go get ready now? Remember uncle Josh is taking you out today since you did so well in your exams"

"Yes Dad. I'll go get ready." She said bouncing with excitement. Then she paused.

"Dad, can we invite nanny to come along? She helped me study for my exams and I want her to have fun too" she said smiling.

"Alright baby. You can ask her and if she says yes. We can all go together"

" ok dad, I'll go ask her now" she said bolting out of the room.

A loud giggle few minutes later told me Bella said yes, she could hardly say no to the girl. I guess my daughter really has her wrapped around her little fingers. Truth be told, am glad she said yes, she's fun to be with and I really enjoy her company. Something in me always wants to see her and spend time with her and am not ready to even check why that is.

.......................................................................

"Nanny, are you ready? Daddy said we should meet him downstairs" I heard Joy's voice from the doorway.

"Just give me a minute. Am almost done" I replied.

"Why are you applying superglue to your shoe?" she asked curiously when she saw what I was doing.

"Well my shoe opened up so am gluing it back together" I replied, applying the final glue to seal up my shoe.

"Well why not just buy a new one" she asked innocently.

"I will. I just can't afford it right now. Well let's go before your dad comes looking for us" I said leading her into the hallway and Louis was already standing there. I hope he didn't hear about the shoes. That would be embarrassing. Just thinking about it makes me cringe inwardly.

"Hi. Have you been waiting long? Sorry it took me a bit to get ready." I said shyly.

"Its alright. I just got here. Shall we?" He asked gesturing downstairs.

"Alright Sir. Let's go Joy." I said leading her downstairs.

" we are going to have so much fun. We'll go to the park then we'll go shopping. After that, we'll go get ice cream..." We got into the car and Joy kept chattering on about what we are going to do.

Louis decided to drive since we don't know exactly when we will be back and for some reason am seated in front with him since Joy called dips on the back seat. I looked at Joy chatting happily in the back with her doll then I glance at the man beside me. He almost caught me staring at him, we look like an actual family, a picture-perfect family. This would've been my life if only last year went as planned. If only he was man enough to fight for me, for us.

"Bella, are you okay?" He said bringing me back from my memories.

"Yes, am alright" I said forcing a smile.

" are you sure? You look like you are about to cry" he said, his voice filled with concern.
I looked at him surprised. Surely, I didn't burst into tears, did I?

"Your eyes are watery" he said gesturing to my face. I dabbed at my eyes that I hadn't realize were getting watery.

"Must be the wind. I should've brought my sunglasses" I said wiping my eyes. He gave me that look that says, 'you don't fool me for one second' but he let it go anyway and we continue our journey in silence.

................................................................

"Must be the wind. I should've brought my sunglasses" she tried to downplay it, but I know that look. I know it so well because I've caught that look in the mirror a lot of times. That look of sadness and longing for what was. I let it go because I know now is not a good time to ask about her past. I drove into the park and I can see josh waiting by his car already. As soon as I let joy out, she took off in his direction.

"Hold on Joy, be careful now" Bella said running after her. That girl is going to keep her nanny fit without taking her to the gym.

"Hi Josh Good to have you back" I said when I caught up to them.

"Good to see you man" he said hugging me. Josh is my best friend and we've been friends for years. He's been with me through thick and thin. He's like a brother to me.

"How's my favorite goddaughter" he said lifting Joy off the ground.

" uncle Josh, am your only goddaughter" she said giggling.

"Louis, your daughter is way too smart" he said, grinning.

"Yup. like father like daughter" I said smiling.

"You must be the new nanny. Am Josh. Forgive my friend here, he lacks proper etiquette for polite company" he said, gesturing in my direction.

"Nice to meet you. Joy speaks fondly of you. Am Anabelle." She said shaking his hands.

"Well I was going to introduce you, but you didn't give me the chance" I said trying to defend myself.

"Yea, yea. We know!" He said mockingly. He's still holding on to Bella's hand which is starting to make her uncomfortable and even more uncomfortable for me to watch.

"Bella, why don't you get the picnic basket from the car while we get the tickets." I said, giving her an excuse to walk away.

"OK Sir" she said pulling her hand from Josh’s.
As soon as she was out of earshot I decided to set Josh straight.

"What was that for man?" I said glaring at him.

"What? I was introducing myself" he said innocently. Yea right, he doesn't fool me one bit.

" just stay away from her. She's off limits" I said walking to the ticket line while he carries Joy.

"Ooooh, you have a thing for the nanny" he said with a glint in his eye. Thank God Joy was preoccupied looking around to hear him.

"No, I don't. She's my employee and you are my best friend, simple. I don't want any complications because I know you. And don’t say such stuffs in front of Joy" I said, a bit irritated.

"What if I say she's different?" he said raising a brow.

"Of course, she's different but you've only known her for five seconds. Besides that's what you said about your last two girlfriends. She's off limits man, stay away from her"

"Wow. So territorial. Never thought I'll see the day the cold as ice Louis will threaten me over a girl" he said, chuckling.

"Am not threatening you. Besides I don't..." Whatever denial I had cooked up got interrupted because Bella was already making her way towards us.