chapter 5

Its been a few days since I was almost fired and since then I’ve kept to the rules and avoided Mr Philips as much as I can. He seemed to get the hint as he also stayed out of my way. The only person I’ve made progress with is Joy. The little girl and I have become closer and its amazing how much she’s opened up to me.

" hi Abby, am going to pick up Joy" I said walking into the kitchen.

"Well you are very early. Her school doesn't let out for another 45 minutes" Abby said studying me.

"I know but I just want to be early" she rolled her eyes at me as if she doesn't believe me.

"You are trying to impress the boss, aren't you? It’s still a miracle he allowed you to stay you know" she said with a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Its no miracle Abby. Am just here till he finds a new nanny remember?" I quipped.

"Well why not show him he doesn't need a new nanny"

"He told me I was a bad example for his daughter. I can't work for someone who doesn't respect or value me. Am only staying because I need the money. Am leaving now" I said and grab the car keys on my way out the door leaving Abby to gape at my retreating frame.
As I wait for the traffic light to turn green, I think about my plans for today. I had made sure nobody knew about it else it would ruin everything. Since am gonna get fired anyway I might as well make sure they'll never forget me. Even Mr Philips will be too shocked to talk, he won't know what hit him. I laugh to myself as I imagine the look on his face when he finds out my plan for his daughter. The light turns green and I drive ahead. Today will be an interesting one in the Philips’ household.

..........................................................

" welcome Mr Philips. You are home early" Abby said opening the door to let me in.
"Yea, I thought I'll spend some time with Joy today. Maybe take her out?"

"Am sure she'll love it" she said and made to go to the kitchen.

"By the way, where's Joy and her nanny?” I asked when I noticed the living room was empty.

"They are not back yet sir" she replied, and I furrowed my brow at that, they should be back thirty minutes ago.

"Alright. I'll just call her nanny"
After calling three times and not being able to reach her, I decide to wait and rest.

‘Maybe they are just held up for a reason, they'll be here soon' and somehow, I don’t sound convincing to myself.
I must've fallen asleep because next thing I know Abby is shaking me awake.
'Great, they must be back' I thought.

"Sir, maybe you should go out and look for them. They are still not back" Abby said looking worried.
I check the time and its almost 4. They should've been home well over an hour ago. The feeling of dread came over me. I just hope my baby girl is okay. Now I wish I had done a background check on that nanny of hers. I'll deal with her later, right now I must find daughter.

"Abby, am going out to search for them. If they get here before me, call me" I said making my way out.

"Alright Sir".
Thirty minutes later and am one second away from calling the police. The school confirmed Joy was picked up two hours ago by her nanny. When I get her, she's going to rot in the jail for even thinking of kidnapping my daughter.

"Hello" I said answering my phone without checking the caller ID.

"Sir, they are back home" I heard Abby's voice over the phone and I was relieved beyond belief.

"Alright. Am coming home.” I said hanging up.
I stepped into the living room and there they are sitting on the cushion. I was immediately relieved to find my daughter unharmed. As I glanced at the nanny, my immediate relief was replaced with anger. I can’t believe she was that careless.
"What the hell were you thinking making me worry like that. Where did you take my daughter to?" I said to miss Mark with fury in my eyes.