Chapter 3

When they get to the hospital they take Regina down for an MRI and take Emma in to look  at her cheek, they give her some Tylenol and 3 stitches. About an hour later Dr. Hopper and a neurosurgeon walk into the room where Regina was sleeping, they had to sedate her because she wouldn't calm down for the tests. Emma was sitting by her side holding her hand. "Sorry that took so long Emma, we have Reginas results. This is Dr. Bruce Cook" Emma stands and they shakes hands. Dr. Cook shows me the brain scans and tells me whats going on with Regina. It seems Regina has what is called Subdural Hematoma (blood between the brain and its outermost covering) and will need surgery. Tears fall from my eyes as I look over at my wife. I was told that first they will try a Surgical Drain, where they insert a tube to remove puss, blood, or other fluids. If that doesn't work then they have to do a Craniotomy which is where they remove part of the skull so that if the injured brain swells then it won't be squeezed. I feel like my own head is spinning right now. I sit down and try to take everything in. Dr. Hopper comes over and kneels next to me. "Emma I know this is a lot to take in, but Regina will get the best care possible". I nod in understanding. "When?"  Is all that can come out of my mouth. Both doctors look at me confused. "I'm sorry Emma what?"  Asked Dr. Hopper. I clear my throat and start again. "When will this be done, the surgery?"  Dr. Cook says "I just called a team in, as soon as they get here we will prep her and then we can start". I nod and squeeze Reginas hand. "How complicated is this surgery?"   "Well I will be honest with you Mrs. Swan-Mills, a lot can go wrong, but I've done this many times before and every one of my patients have made a full recovery". Dr. Cook tells me, then he excuses himself to answer a call. Dr. Hopper also gave me a few minutes alone with my wife. I lean over to kiss her gently. "I love you so much sweetheart. You are going to be ok. You have to be babe. Me and Henry need you". I say with tears in my eyes. I run my hand through her hair, then rub my thumb over her cheek. I hear Dr. Cook and Archie walk in. "We're ready to take her up to surgery now". I nod and lean down to kiss her again. "I love you babe. Stay strong". I kiss her again and stand up. The orderlies come over and start to wheel her out of the room, I follow them out and watch as they get on the elevator and then the doors close. Archie who was standing next to me told me, told she was going to be fine. "How could this have happened Archie?"   "Emma, remember she was in a car accident about a year ago and suffered a bad concussion, the tests and MRIs never noticed the bleed. It's my guess that is how it all got started". I nod then I go back in her room and sit there and wait. Im in a daze when I hear my phone ring. I take it out of my pocket and see that it's Zelena. "Hello".  "Emma, how are things going?"   "I'm sorry, I should have called you a little while ago. They took Regina up for surgery. She has a Subdural Hematoma, which is basically a bleed in the brain".   "Oh my god Emma this is serious".   "Yes I know, but the doctor is very optimistic".   "Ok, well I'll keep a close eye on Henry, I promise".  "Actually Zelena, could you bring him down here?  I'd really like to hold him right now".  "Yes. Of course. I'll put his diaper bag together and we'll be right there".  "Thank you. I'm in room 7D". Zelena walks in holding Henry and I get up and head right to them. I take my son I'm my arms and hold him tight and I can't help but cry. Zelena puts her arms around me and rubs my back. "She'll be ok Emma". I nod. "Have you heard anything yet?"  "No. I was just about to check with the nurse".   "I'll go do it, you spend time with Henry". A few minutes later she comes back. "All the nurse knew was that the surgery just finished, and that the doctor will be here soon to talk to us".  "Ok. Thank you. How was Henry for you?"   "He was great. For a small baby that can't do much, he loves laying on his back and playing with his feet". I chuckle a little. "Yup. That's my boy, easily amused just like me". And suddenly I remember something Regina said about him not being mine, and a few tears fall from my eyes. "She's going to be ok Emma, You've gotta believe that". I nod and just hold Henry tighter. The doctor comes in and we stand up. "Dr. Cook, this is my sister-in-law Zelena". They shake hands and he begins to speak. "The surgery went very well. We were able to remove all the blood and any other fluids in the area. She should make a full recovery". "Oh thank god". Zelena and I both say. "She will be in recovery for the next hour or so, and then she will be moved back to a room". We shake his hand and thank him before he leaves. It was getting late so Zelena took Henry home to get him ready for bed. I sat in the room alone till a nurse told me I could go see my wife.

Missing My WifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara