Chapter Sixteen

One more month. One more month until _____ was free. Until she could meet with her family again. One more month until she could be away from Stekkjarstaur and his stupid little gang. One more month until...Leaving Klown. Until leaving him alone with the Dark Elves. Until she would leave his heart empty. Until...She would leave her own heart empty. It was a tough choice. Family or a love life? Home or sleeping with a caring monster? Brother or boyfriend? What were to become of her family if she chose to stay? What would become of Klown if she were to leave? What would become of her?

"Dear, God help me," _____ whispered under her breath as she lay in bed in Klown's protective arms. "What am I to do?"

Without warning, Klown's arms tightened around _____'s smaller frame, causing her to tense up a bit. Once she realized it was just her beloved, she calmed down.

"Hi, sweetheart," _____ cooed as she rubbed Klown's arm. "How'd you sleep?"

Klown made a purring noise, nuzzling in _____'s neck.

_____ hummed. "That's good..." She sighed. "One more month..."

Klown tightened his grip, signaling he didn't want her to go.

"I know," _____ said. "Me neither...But it's for the best...We both know that..."

Klown nuzzled deeper in her neck, causing her head to slide forward. He really didn't want her to go. He just wanted to stay curled up at her side all day long. They both jumped when sudden knocking came at the door.

_____ sighed. "I got it." She was just about to get up before Klown made her lie down again, signaling he would get it. "Thanks."

When Klown opened the door, he was surprised it was Ruprecht the Dark Elf.

"Master has said that _____ can go home any time soon," Ruprecht said. "Krampus has seen Stekkjarstaur's stress about _____. Ruprecht is also stressed."

Klown froze. She could go now? Before the deadline? He turned to _____, seeing a look that was mixed with excitement and worry. Klown turned to the little elf and told him something in the different language, closing the door. He turned around and made his way to his beloved, climbing on the bed.

"I can go..." _____ whispered. "I can leave, see my family..." She turned to Klown. "But that means I'm going to leave you here..."

Klown made a noise of distress and embraced _____, hugging her tightly. He nuzzled her neck once again, running his hands up and down her back. A few tears managed to escape his eyes.

_____ rubbed his back, crying herself. "I know...I know...I don't want to leave you...And I don't want to leave my family..."

"Master said _____ has to go," Ruprecht called through the door. "_____ has no choice."

Klown cried even more, hugging _____ tighter. She cried more also, burying her face in his neck frills.

"I'm so sorry..." _____ sobbed, hugging Klown as tight as she could, never wanting to let go.

The door swung open, revealing Krampus. "_____. Your family awaits you."

_____ looked up with teary eyes. "Just a bit longer, please..."

~~~

_____ woke up in her bed, as if she had a bad dream. She looked around frantically, seeing she was in her own room at her own house.

No, she thought. It can't be...It was all a dream?

She slipped out of her bed, slipping her feet in her slippers and looking at the calendar. It was Christmas morning.

"_____, get down here!" _____'s mother, Jeny, called from downstairs. "We're all waiting for you!"

_____ hesitantly slipped out of her room and made her way downstairs. There, her whole family was there. Her father Hank, Aunt Cami, Great Aunt Lucy, Grandpa Luis and her cousin Andrea.

"There she is!" Aunt Cami said, running over and hugging her. "Good morning!"

"Good morning to you, too!" _____ hugged back.

Once they broke from the hug, _____ sat on the couch, watching happily as her family was surprised by the gifts they got. Hank got a bowling ball, Jenny got a snowglobe, Grandpa Luis got a pack of Christmas bells, Andrea got a new jewelry kit, Great Aunt Lucy got a pack of shot glasses and Aunt Cami got a real racoon that was stuffed. _____ laughed at their reactions, remembering the memories.

"This one's for you, _____," Jenny handed a wrapped box to _____.

"Thank you," she said, opening the present. When she opened the box, she found another box inside.

When _____ took the box out, she gasped. It was a Jack-in-the-Box toy withKlown's cartoonish face on it. The box was neatly polished and painted. A not was found on the box and _____ picked it up, reading it.

_____,

Klown has really enjoyed your stay. I gave him a chance to travel all the way to your home so he could be with you at long last. Take good care of him. And careful next year. Keep your Christmas spirit.

                                                                                                                                                ~Krampus