Chapter 6

(Jenna's POV)

"The privy is through that door," Nikolai points.

What the hell is a privy?

I hope it's a bathroom...

I practically sprint through the door and close it before searching for the light.

I find it, and once the room is illuminated, I'm relieved to see that it is indeed a bathroom...not that I need to use it.

I just needed to get away, for a few.

It's old, dark, and elegant like everything else here, and maybe I could appreciate it better, if I weren't so mortified right now.

Row, row, row my boat

God...I can't believe I said that.

I ought to row my frickin' boat home right now!

I let out a long, frustrated sigh as I put the toilet seat lid down and then sit, putting my head in my hands.

It's his fault, for making me so damn nervous. That and the fact that I'm exhausted and not thinking clearly.

He seemed to take it all in stride and was actually very cool about it, but I'm sure he thinks I'm a complete idiot.

Aimee and I usually tell each other everything, but there's NO way that I'm telling her this!

I can hear her voice in my head right now – "Oh my God, Jenna! It's no wonder you don't have a boyfriend!"

I lift my head slowly and groan in embarrassment, dreading the thought of facing him right now, but knowing that I can't stay in here forever.

A knock sounds on the door. "Jenna...are you ill?" Mr. Rykov asks softly in a concerned voice and my mortification skyrockets.

Can this day get any worse?!?

Thanks to my moaning out loud, he thinks I'm either sick...or possibly in here taking a massive dump.

Jesus!

I smack my forehead and stand.

"Yes...I'm fine. I just...stubbed my toe," I lie nervously before walking over to the old, marble sink.

"Alright...I'll be right out here whenever you're ready," he replies hesitantly.

I stare into the gilt mirror and shake my head at myself. I need to calm down and think before I speak  or act from now on.

I don't want to rudely leave him waiting out there any longer, so I quickly check my teeth. That's all I'd need, is to walk around talking or smiling with chunks of Moldavian meat stuck in them.

I silently tell myself that I can do this...be around this attractive, odd man in his castle.

I take a deep, cleansing breath and reluctantly open the door.