Chapter 18

(Jenna's POV)

My mind is racing as I sit here in the back of the car, though I'm trying to keep my cool.

What the hell just happened?!

Nik and I were walking along; minding our business, when these scraggly looking guys came out of nowhere.

Not only that, but they called me...what was it...a tasty bitch.

Where the hell do they get off calling me that?! I don't even know those assholes!

They had heavy Russian accents, but spoke English rather well, even though they seemed to be talking in riddles, calling Nik a king and an insect.

Either that or they were on drugs.

I mean, they were acting weird, sniffing the air and stuff.

Probably paint huffers.

Although Nik said some odd things too, but that's just how he is most of the time.

He even uncharacteristically cussed, which was rather shocking, despite the situation.

He seemed so strong and confident, even though he was outnumbered and surrounded...protective of me too, which caused butterflies in my stomach.

However...when one of them said that Nik only gets with long-legged, hungry types, it certainly put an end to any fantasies I may have had about Nik ever liking or being attracted to me.

I'm definitely not long-legged or hungry, which I took to mean money hungry...like a gold digger.

I guess I was wrong about Nik, since he likes that kind of woman, which I can't understand why he would.

Maybe he is the playboy type after all.

Figures...

I knew he seemed too good to be true.

As my mom always used to say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Paris Hilton is probably the type he goes after...

I let out a long, tired, sad sigh.

Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm sad because even though I had my mind set on resisting anything with Nik, it sure would've been nice to have that option...maybe explore it in the future...

It's just that...I feel something when I'm around him. Something I can't really explain.

Maybe it's just my teenage hormones running amok, but it feels like so much more than that...intense.

I mean...it would be hard for any woman of any age not to find Nik strikingly handsome.

Then there's the whole impeccable manners thing, not to mention that he's rich and lives in a freakin' castle.

Besides all that, my absolute favorite thing about him is how utterly charming he can be, when he's not being such an oddball or a dork.

Although I like his adorkable ways...

More than like...

No! No...I can't.

As I'd thought from the beginning, I'd never be his type, and I was right. Those hobos only confirmed it, which makes me want to ask him now even more than before, why did he almost kiss me in the solarium during dinner, or why did he draw a picture of me?

Maybe he's just a player after all, like most men seem to be.

Maybe it's all an act with him, just trying to get in my pants.