Chapter 11

(Jenna's POV)

I wrap my shawl around my shoulders tightly in the chilly, night air, clinging to it like a lifeline in the awkward silence.

As I stand there, staring out into the expansive darkness, I begin to shiver.

"Allow me," Nikolai says from behind me before draping his suit jacket across my shoulders, instantly enveloping me in his warmth and scent.

Another shiver racks my body, but a much different kind...

As the saying goes, how can something so wrong feel so right?

"Thank you," I whisper into the cold, watching the steam from my breaths rise and then dissipate as howls echo in the distance.

I guess the wolves are out and about...

"It's no problem," he replies quietly, coming to my side protectively. "I wouldn't want you to catch cold."

I nod but hold back the smile that's trying to spread across my face at his chivalry and concern, but it's for the best. I can't do anything else to lead him on any more than I apparently already have...or myself.

"I think...I should head home now," I tell him as I glance up at him.

If I stay, I'm afraid I'll have my first kiss...with my boss.

"As you wish," he says sadly before escorting me back inside.

He drives me home and walks me to my door where I return his jacket to him.

"Maybe next time, we can have dessert," he suggests with a grin.

"Maybe," I blush as I look away from his powerful gaze.

"Well...goodnight, Jenna. Pleasant dreams," he tells me as he backs away.

"Goodnight," I smile. "Oh! Uh...what time does work start tomorrow?"

"I'll pick you up again at 8:00 am for breakfast, and go from there," he answers.

I nod and open my door, giving a small wave before shutting it.

I lean my forehead against the door for a moment, still in disbelief that I almost kissed my boss tonight...a guy I barely know.

I sigh and trudge upstairs, hoping I don't find any more surprises...and thankfully I don't.

I hang my dress back up and make quick work of my nightly routine...utterly exhausted.

But before I hit the bed, I decide to head down to the kitchen for a late night snack.

To tell you the truth...my mind is still reeling, and despite how tired I am, I know I won't be able to fall asleep easily.

I can't help but think about that almost kiss...

I pour a glass of milk and grab those cookies once more and take a seat.

As I look around the large kitchen, I feel utterly alone. I can't even call Aimee and talk to her.

I don't know why, but I begin to cry...everything seeming to hit me all at once – exhaustion, uncertainty, homesickness, fear, doubt, anxiety...missing my mom...and even my dad.

So much repressed sadness, stress, and pent up anger.

I lay my head down on my arm and just let loose...letting the horrible sobs escape me.

Yes, I guess you could consider this a pity party, but I think I've earned it.

I don't know how much time passes, but I'm torn from my epic sob session by a brushing sensation on my hand.