Chapter 24

(Nik's POV)

What a night.

I'll admit that things did not go as I had anticipated, however, I can't really complain. As long as I'm with Jenna, it's time well spent, no matter if there's vomit involved or not...

That's love for you...

Which brings me to my only regret of the evening, which was serving Jenna as much wine as I did, considering her young age and apparent inability to hold her liquor, as they say.

I didn't realize just how much of a light weight she is.

With the low alcohol content of said wine, I just never imagined it would've had that negative of an effect on her, despite her attempt at liquid courage, which she didn't need.

Under different circumstances, she could have me whenever and however she wanted. In other words, she has no need to worry – I'm a sure thing where she's concerned.

Nevertheless, I found it all rather charming and adorable, though I hated to see her feel so ill from it.

If only I could've bitten her...

Believe me, my mouth was salivating, nearly dripping with venom as I had to fight to keep my fangs at bay. My entire being screamed for me to do it, to make my mate well, but I just couldn't risk it, her being drunk or not.

I don't know when or especially how I am ever going to tell her the truth about me – I just know that I eventually must.

Now that I think about it, her getting tipsy last night was probably a good thing because I feel like I should tell her before we are ever intimate.

I just don't think she'll ever take it well...accept me for who and what I really am.

The very thought of that completely frightens and devastates me all at the same time.

And believe me when I say that I am not frightened of anything. I'm usually the one that always does the frightening...

But the thought of losing Jenna...I can't even begin to fathom.

It's amazing how one little human can bring such a massive, dangerous creature like me to his knees...all 48 of them.

When the time comes, what do I even say? Uhhh, Jenna...by the way, those spiders that you absolutely hate and that repulse you so much and are completely terrified of...I'm one of them.

Not only am I a spider, but a supernatural giant one...the king of them all.

Yeah...somehow, I don't see that ending very well.

I don't blame her though. I can put myself in her tiny shoes, if the tables were turned.

The fact that she's human is scary enough within itself, being so small and powerless in this world. I can't even imagine...

Then something like me comes along and focuses all of his affections onto her, which is rather daunting in itself, considering her innocence and youth.

I can't say that I envy her...at all.

Hell, I'm a spider and the thought of mating with another spider made me extremely anxious, to say the very least, even though I had accepted the notion long ago.

It wasn't fear that I felt, just the nagging thought of my life coming to such an abrupt end, and by someone I loved.

It's difficult to try to reconcile the fact that you're immortal, yet knowing that the one and only thing that can kill you is your own mate...

So, I can only imagine how she'll feel, even though I won't be eating her when the time comes...well, not in the literal sense anyway.

He, he, he...

In all seriousness though, it's something I'm not looking forward to...telling her.

Whoever said that honesty is the best policy certainly wasn't a spider.

It's just my luck that my mate is an arachnophobic human.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair in dread.

We had a close call last night. Had Jenna not imbibed so much wine near the end of the evening and gotten herself sick, I'm sure we would've wound up being intimate.

I know I wanted to...

Believe me when I tell you that saying no and doing the gentlemanly thing last night was beyond difficult.

And I'm sure it will only get more intense from here on out...harder and harder to say no....to deny our feelings. 

But I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she's not ready for the truth.

Nowhere near it.

How do I go about things without making her feel rejected?

She's such a sensitive little thing...

Maybe I should just let nature and fate take its course as it always does.

But will that only make her hate me more when the time comes?

Is that a gamble I'm willing to take? Is sex really worth the risk of losing her altogether?

Well...it's not just sex. Making love...

The most passionate and truest of love to ever exist.

I wish I could talk to my mother about this, but...it's just too awkward of a subject to try to broach with her.

Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even have Jenna, but still...

What a conundrum I've found myself in.

I think it would be easier for a fly to escape a web than this.

Another involuntary sigh escapes me as I ponder the difficulty that lies ahead, for Jenna and me.

I look over at Jenna's sleeping form and hope...no, know it will all be worth it in the end.

I just wish she'd wake up, but I know she needs her rest.

She's probably going to have a hangover when she wakes...

I'll just have Ursula whip up one of her remedies. She's good at curing most human ills.

Until then, I'll just continue to sit here beside the woman I love and watch over her, like her own personal guardian spider.

A/N : Just a quick little filler chapter from Nik's POV, the morning after dealing with a drunken Jenna. 😂
Also, don't take the picture above literally - she's in her bed, not some web that Nik spun...not yet anyway. 😉 I just thought it'd be fun to add.

Anyway...I want to hear from you guys! What do you think Nik should do? Is honesty the best policy in this case or should he just keep mum on the subject? Let me know!

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT!!!