2: Everything is Fine

Tails smiled and watched as Sonic strangled his brother in a hug.

"I'm so happy you're here! I missed you so much, Manic!" Sonic said happily.

Laughing despite being squeezed, Manic said, "Well I heard you cheering when you got the letter. I figured you must've been pretty excited."

Blushing when he realized how giddy he must've sounded, Sonic scoffed at Manic. "Well, you... Um..." Then Sonic realized that he didn't have a clever comeback. "You're... Uh... That wasn't me."

Manic looked at his brother skeptically. "So you weren't the one squealing and jumping around the house like a five-year-old?"

Sonic blushed more. "Shuddup. Oh! I just remembered: how do you want to meet everybody? I've already got ideas for a huge party and-"

"Actually, Sonic, I'd rather not have any party. Big or small."

Both Sonic and Tails were surprised, as Manic was known for loving a good shindig. "You... don't want a party?" Sonic asked, unsure if he'd heard correctly.

Manic rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, no. I've just... I don't think I'm ready. After the big 'incident', I feel shaky being around too many people at once, and-"

"It's okay, Manic." Sonic interrupted. "I understand, you don't want a party. I can just introduce you to everyone slowly. And I can start with my closest friends, if you want."

Manic sighed in relief. "Thanks, Sonic." He looked to Tails, who was still observing the conversation. "Does Tails know?"

"Yeah. Tails is the one that first told me about it. I'm still unsure of how he knew before you told me, but yes, he knows."

"Not to worry, Manic. I still have plenty of trust in you." Tails added in. "None of it was your fault."

Now, Manic smiled. "You two are the best. Now uh, I have a lot of unpacking to do, so I've gotta head out."

"Ok. Send me your address, I'll come help you." Sonic said, taking out his phone. "Is it okay if I bring just two friends along?"

Manic winced. "Um... I don't know, Sonic..."

"Come on, Manic. It's only two more people. I'm pretty sure you can handle two people."

"Well, yeah, two people as in you and Tails. Two more people would be four, and it would be two strangers at that."

Tails spoke up, "Actually, I have a lot of work to do on a project. I'll be staying here to fin-"

A loud boom! sound was heard coming from Tails' workshop.

"Uh oh. I'll be back later, the engine just burst!"

Tails quickly flew off.

Sonic turned to his brother. "See, Manic? Now it'll only be three people. There's nothing to worry about. There's no way you can't handle just three people."

Manic accepted that Sonic wouldn't listen. Faking a smile, he said, "Alright, Sonic. You can invite your friends."

"Great!" Sonic said, oblivious. "You go ahead and get started, I'll grab my friends, and we can get things moving!"

A few more exchanges of hugs and "happy you're here"s later, and Manic was on his way to his new house.

Breaking into a cold sweat, he walked on and tried to control his breathing.

'Everything is fine. Sonic's just inviting over a few strangers- I mean, his friends. Everything is fine.'

Finally, his house came into view. Manic unlocked his front door and stepped inside of the empty house. As soon as the door closed, he pulled out a blade.

'Everything is fine.'