28: Apology

As Manic got closer, Scourge became more scared. Scourge paused his breathing again, purposely this time, hoping that Manic would get confused again.

But Manic couldn't be fooled. He kept walking toward Scourge.

When Manic finally stood right in front of him, Scourge almost peed. His ankle was still not cooperating, and Scourge saw no way of escaping.

Which only made things worse, when Manic reached down, nearly touching Scourge's leg.

Shaking, Scourge watched as Manic kept feeling the ground near him, until Manic's fingers brushed Scourge's shoe.

'Well, this is it. THIS is how I die.' Scourge thought.

Scourge thought more, as Manic's hand found Scourge's leg, 'Actually, why am I upset? I deserve this.'

Manic's hand went to Scourge's hip, then Scourge's shoulder.

'This is my punishment, I guess. The one person that I cared about more than anything, I treated the worst. And now he's going to kill me.'

Manic's hand went to Scourge's face.

'Should I apologize?'

Manic touched Scourge's cheek. He lightly ran his fingers over it, before attempting doing the same to the other.

But as soon as Manic touched it, Scourge winced. That was the cheek that Fiona had thrown her boot at.

When Manic heard Scourge's reaction, he pulled his hand away. Then, he reached into his hoodie pocket.

Scourge was afraid again. 'Is he pulling out a weapon? Am I going to get stabbed!?'

Manic pulled his hand from his pocket, holding a stack of napkins. He took one from the stack and rubbed it against Scourge's lip to wet it. Then, he wiped the dirt from Fiona's boot from Scourge's cheek as gently as he could.

Scourge still didn't move. But he wasn't frozen from fear. He was confused.

'With how that fat mustache guy was talking, it seemed like he was going to change Manic into a killing machine.' Scourge thought. 'Why is Manic being so... not violent?'

When Manic was satisfied, he put the napkin down. Then, he put one hand on Scourge's back, hooked the other behind Scourge's knees, and picked Scourge up.

Fiona, who was growing agitated at seeing Manic being gentle, became hopeful as Manic carried Scourge to the middle of the pit.

'Finally! Maybe now he's gonna do his job!' she thought excitedly.

Manic put Scourge down, and Scourge was nervous again.

At the same time, he felt nostalgic. Just like when they'd first met, Manic had carried Scourge away from where some bully had left him. And just like back then, Scourge wondered why Manic was doing this for him.

Manic knelt down near Scourge.

'This is it!' Fiona thought.

Finally, Manic got on top of Scourge.

...

...

Literally.

As in, he laid his head on Scourge's belly.

Like Scourge was a pillow.

Everyone looking was surprised. Scourge most of all.

Looking at the head resting on his belly, Scourge confusedly called out, "Uh... Manic?"