5: Calming

Shadow had calmed down, and everything was finished. Everything was unpacked. Now, about an hour after being done, the four hedgehogs were talking and getting to know each other.

Shadow and Silver decided that, as of now, they liked Manic. He was a lot less of a show-off than his brother, and was actually pretty funny. A bit of an a**hole, yes, but in a good way.

Sonic, though confused about Manic's behavior that morning, was also in a good mood. He was happy that his brother was getting along with his friends.

Eventually, they got onto the topic of powers.

"Manic, I'm curious: what power or ability do you have?" Silver asked. "I assume that it's not speed, I'm sure Sonic would've told us that by now."

Now, after a few hours of being somewhat calm, Manic was tense again. "Oh, well I don't really have any powers. As for abilities... nothing special. I haven't found a lock nor device that I couldn't unlock and get into, but that's about it."

Shadow was going to let that be, then he remembered, "Wait a minute: If you don't have any powers or 'super abilities,' what was happening with your hands earlier today? Weren't you growing claws?"

Manic began shivering. "Um..."

Suddenly, an alarm on Manic's phone went off.

Relieved, Manic grabbed his phone and was about to stand up, when Sonic asked for the time.

Manic checked his phone. "It's 6:45."

"Already?" Sonic asked, surprised. "That was fast. I told Tails that I'd pick up some things from the dollar store before I got home, so I'd better run off, now."

Sonic got up and hugged Manic, telling him he'd visit again the next day to check on him.

Manic hugged him back, appearing cheerful still, but in his mind begging, 'Please don't leave. I don't want to be by myself, Sonic. Just for a little bit longer, please.'

Finally, they let go and Sonic left.

Silver and Shadow were still sitting on the sofa.

Shadow still felt guilty for what he'd said about Manic that morning. He also knew that it didn't always feel great to be by yourself when going through mental issues.

Silver worried even more. If Manic was both alone and suicidal...

Manic closed the door and sighed. "You two saw the pill bottle, didn't you?"

"Yeah," Silver answers. "We saw it while we were settling stuff into your room."

Manic turned. "Don't tell Sonic, okay?"

"Manic, don't you think that's kinda important to tell your brother?" Silver asked.

"I know I should tell him, I actually want too. But why bother? He hasn't changed since I last saw him. He still doesn't listen unless we're talking about something he likes. I mean, you saw what happened this morning. He didn't think even once that there was some wrong, he just accused me of acting rude."

Shadow spoke up. "Well, I thought so too at first. But after hearing that you actually were going through something, I know better."

"But that's because you listened. Sonic doesn't. Look, I know you two mean well, but I'm not ready to tell him. I promise, once I'm ready, I'll talk to him. But I just can't right now."

Silver sighed. "Alright, I won't say anything to him."

Shadow zipped his lips.

"Thank you."

Silver then asked, "With the medication you take, when do the hallucinations start?"

Manic wrung his hoodie. I'm not sure. I know that they usually die down after thirty minutes, sometimes thirty five."

Shadow asked Silver quietly, "You're staying here to keep him calm?"

Silver nodded.

"Mm." Shadow turned to Manic, "Go ahead and take them, now. We've got time."

~Meanwhile~

Sonic stepped out of the dollar store, holding a bag of soap, bobby pins, and paint.

He had no idea what Tails would need these things for, but decided not to ask.

As he walked back to his house, he passed a park area. During the day, Sonic loved walking past the park.

Children playing tag and hide-and-seek.

Lone joggers or dog-walkers.

The occasional young couple.

It was all rather nice. Walking around at night, as Sonic was, wasn't as pleasant. Sonic was always afraid to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, hence why he usually would have just run home.

Tonight, though, seemed like it would be a good one. After all, the day was great. Manic came to surprise him, Sonic's friends liked Manic, and they got the unpacking done in one day.

Sonic was on cloud nine.

As he walked on, Sonic saw someone sitting on the curb.

He couldn't tell who the person was from behind them. But whomever it was, they didn't look to be in the best of shape. Sonic could hear them crying and they looked a bit banged up.

Sonic walked over, hoping to calm the stranger. "Hey? Are you okay?"

The person turned, shocked at the voice he'd heard. "Sonic?"

Sonic himself was in for surprise. "Scourge?"