17: It Was Manic.

The guests began to arrive.

Since Silver and Shadow were already there, they decided to stay at Sonic's house and wait for Manic. Jet and Wave were next. Rouge came along, Knuckles following, but making a deal to sit as far from Rouge as he could.

"What's with them two?" Scourge asked Sonic.

"Their relationship is kinda shaky." Sonic answered. "I'm surprised they're still dating."

Vector walked in holding several grocery bags. "Hey, Sonic! I brought extra snacks for the party!"

Sonic thanked Vector and told him to put everything on the table.

Then, Sonic was confused. "I could've sworn I invited Espio, too. Where is he?"

"He's molting."

Sonic paused, waiting for an explanation.

When Vector noticed, he elaborated: "His old skin... well, scales, are coming off. He's almost done, and once his new scales are dry, he'll come over."

"Oh, ok. That sounds kinda gross."

"Sounds gross? It's way worse seeing it. Then sometimes he even needs help pulling the skin off-"

"Ew!" Sonic, Silver, and Scourge said at once.

Shadow winced, thinking of how disturbing this must be. "I'm suddenly more grateful to be a hedgehog."

Unexpectedly, Sonic was tackle-hugged from behind, nearly being knocked over.

Predictably, it was a familiar pink hedgehog that had hugged him.

Amy said cheerfully, "Hello, Sonic! Did you miss me?"

Silver and Shadow quickly got out of Amy's range of vision, because as we all know, Amy constantly mistakes others for her beloved hero.

Sonic tried to hide his annoyance, despite that his true crush was standing near him. "Oh, Amy, hey. Uh, glad you could make it."

Amy was happy to hear that and showed that she'd baked cookies for the party.

Sonic told her where the snacks were, and he was relieved when she finally released him.

Scourge smirked. "So. Rosy never changed her ways, huh?"

Sonic rubbed the back of his head. "She's gotten a little less grabby, but she still seems to think I like her more than as a friend."

"Haven't you told her that you don't-"

"Yes, plenty of times. I guess she just doesn't get it."

Finally, the star of the show (well, party) arrived.

*Knock Knock Knock*

Sonic answered the door to see his sister. "Hey, Sonia. Ready to meet some people?"

Sonia nodded, just as Sonic saw that she was carrying someone over her shoulder. "Who's that?" he asked.

Sonia put the person down.

"Oh, hey, Manic! I- woah... You look awful."

"So do you, Sonic." Manic replied.

Manic had dark marks under his eyes and his face was pale. He felt sick, and honestly wanted to go back home. But he also wanted to spend a little time with Sonia before she left again.

"Manic just woke up from a nap." Sonia explained. "I literally dragged him out of bed so we could get here on time. I ended up carrying him so he could sleep along the way."