One.

Chapter 1:The Weight of a Secret

Chapter 1:
The Weight of a Secret

Peaceful— was the word to use when describing Forks a month after Edward was saved. It was May. White puffs of clouds flew across the baby blue sky and pushed a light breeze onto the Earth.

Outside were birds soaring high above while the fragrance of grass lingered below. The bright yellow sun covered Forks with it's rare warmth, granting a few hours of nice weather. Even with winter gone, the rains of Washington state will never let up.

"Just imagine it happening." Sam's strong voice bellowed from across the field. His skin glistened with sweat, his usual shirtless body exposed to the sunlight.

With her shoes and backpack thrown aside, Hunter stood a bit slouched with her arms limp at her sides. Her deep brown eyes stared down at the grass and she inhaled deeply.

This has been the routine for a month. Every Friday after school, would be spent in the woods, hunting and shifting from human to werewolf, then back to human again.

She would leave sweaty and dirty with mud lining her old shoes and a stench that could be smelled from across town. She wasn't a fan of the aftermath of her and Sam's Friday's but it was necessary.

Saturday's and Sunday's were spent indoors. Winston would often visit, much to Charlie's dismay, and Jacob would call just to check in. But Bella was always lingering, asking questions and showering her with snacks. Not that she was complaining.

"Clear your mind of any problems you may have. Keep the negativity out." Sam guided. He began to pace, something he did often. "Getting angry would help speed the process, but you need to learn how to do it at will, no matter what emotion." His eyes were hard. Any sign of emotions he had were hidden by his alpha demeanor. The need to be strong for his pack was more important than anything.

Hunter nodded and her eyes shut. The only problem she had today was trying to get away from Jessica. The girl's voice was fast and high pitched. She could rant for hours if you let her and all she cared to talk about was— well, everything.

But of course, after almost two months, the biggest problem hasn't left her mind. She hadn't seen him in quite sometime. He was usually with Bella, lodged in her room or somewhere romantic. But his voice was what she could hear. Through the walls, from the driveway, around the halls in school.

That was her problem. They were avoiding each other and she couldn't stop thinking about it. Even now, it had managed to squirm it's way back into the crevices of her brain. It made it hard to concentrate on anything.

"Why aren't you clearing your mind?" Sam grilled. His voice was louder and closer. Her eyes fly open and she jumped backwards, the tan man now in front of her. She didn't even hear him walking towards her. That's the power of her distractions. "I can see your creased forehead from all the way over there."