Thirteen.

Chapter 13:Listen Before I Go

Chapter 13:
Listen Before I Go

Edward managed to carry a mute Hunter and lead Bella all the way down the mountain. No one said a word on the way. Guilt, sympathy, and regret swimming around them hungrily, piercing at their hearts like swords.

Hunter had cried out all she could, all that was left was dried blood stains on her nose and forehead. She couldn't believe Winston was gone, he was dead. His neck snapped and his body free falling to the ground.

On the way down, Edward had whispered to her, soothing her and telling her things. He promised to go back for his body, to bring him back so they could have a proper funeral.

But she said nothing.

They reached the field where the rest of the Cullen's and Quileute pack were. They were waiting for something. Bella walked in step with Edward and casually glanced at Hunter. She didn't want to ever take her sights off her, she was afraid of her disappearing or closing off again.

"How long?" Edward asked, reaching his family with a pained stare. They watched the trio approach them, dread filling their eyes when they realized one was missing. No one dared to say a word about it.

"A few minutes. Maybe ten." Alice replied, watching Hunter somberly. Hunter peeled her eyes open, her lashes still coated with tears. She couldn't find it in her to make eye contact with anyone. She was ashamed in herself. She failed her only mission. Her grip around Edward's neck tightened and she nuzzled deeper into him. She needed support and she craved comfort, and right now, that was Edward.

"The pack needs to leave." Carlisle spoke, "The Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves." Edward closed his eyes at his father's words and Hunter immediately perked up, "The Volturi? Why are they coming."

That was the first time she spoke and her voice was raspy, her throat raw from all the screaming and crying she did. She loosened her hold on Edward and he reluctantly put her down. "They know about the newborns, they wanna check in." He told her, rubbing his palms on his jeans.

Hunter scoffed and looked to Bella who intertwined her fingers with Edward's. She was about to see her mother again and no one told her a thing. "That would've been nice to know." She told Edward, her voice filled with venom.

He blinked and took her anger, he deserved it. "Are you sure they aren't here to check if Bella's still human?" She asked, her eyes finding Alice's. The psychic vampire shuffled in her spot with guilt ridden eyes. "That could be a possibility."

There was a roar and everyone's eyes flicker to the wolves. There was one last newborn, threatening to go after Jacob but Leah was quick on her feet. "Leah, no!" Edward yelled, moving forward. Leah quickly leaped over to the newborn and tackled him, but he dodged and wrapped his arms around her throat.

Hunter made a move to run but Jasper grabbed onto her wrist, "Don't get involved." He told her, sending her pleading eyes.

Jacob ran over and snapped his jaw closed onto the newborn's sweater. They wrestled and thrashed around before the vampire moved around Jacob with ease. He grappled the werewolf and he stabbed his fingers into his sides. Jacob let out a roar of pain and the vampire tossed him aside, only to be jumped by two other wolves.