Twelve.

Chapter 12:And The World Was Gone

Chapter 12:
And The World Was Gone

   The wind died down and it was eerily quiet, somehow, that's what made Hunter wake up in a panic. With her heart pumping, her eyes flip open. Today was the day, the fight for Forks. She peered over to see Winston gone, his beanie lying in the spot where his body should be. Everyone was gone.

Hunter ripped out of the sleeping bag and slid her feet into her boots before running out of the tent. The ground was completely white with snow. She let out a sigh, her breath appearing before her in a white smoke.

   "Hey." Winston spoke, emerging from the trees with Bella and Edward. Hunter didn't say anything except pull him into her arms, relief flooding her. Peering over his shoulder, Bella looked lost, as did Edward. Hunter pulled away from Winston and caressed his face, a smile pulling her lips upward. "What happened? Where'd you guys go?" She questioned the trio.

   "We were talking to Jacob. He just left." Winston told her while he zipped up his coat. He seemed a bit uncomfortable, afraid even, but she didn't push. A werewolf, Seth, approached them, a snarl leaving his throat. "They're here." He told them. Hunter sucked in a breath and closed her hands into fists.

Edward turned to them all, his face hard as stone, "It's starting."

Winston let out a shaky breath and grabbed onto Hunter's hand. He pulled her into the tent and zipped it closed. "Win-" she cut himself off when he started to rub his hands against his jeans frantically, his breaths coming in quickly. All he could think about was how vampires existed and they wanted him dead. A month ago, he was worrying about when his mom would call him, a much more mundane thing.

Hunter bit her lip and pulled him onto the sleeping bags. Before she could even begin to reassure him, his rant started. "What am I supposed to do? How do I relax? What about my grandpa, I was supposed to go see him. What if he's dead? I can't- I don't want to do this. I'm afraid, Hunter-"

   "Winston." She interrupted. Her warm hands grab hold of his frosted cheeks and she smiled, "Everything's fine, you're safe. I'm here to protect you."

He shook his head and lightly brushed off her hands. There was too much fear embedded in his gut, fear of losing Hunter or himself. He was never put in this dangerous of a situation and he didn't want to be taken out when he just got involved. Hunter placed her hands neatly in her lap and dropped her smile, there was nothing she could do to ease his nerves. "I'm not cut out for this world." He mumbled, avoiding her eyes.

   "I never wanted this for you." She told him honestly, brushing her growing hair behind her ear.

Winston shrugged, letting a pained smile show, "Yeah well, this is fate I guess." Hunter remained silent, the pang in her heart growing louder by the second. When they first met, Hunter was instantly attracted to him. His smile, his hair, the way he talked, it was like heaven to her. It was impossible to resist someone as charismatic as he was.